+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum boiled Maple Syrup.

That is really interesting, thanks for all the updates. But the whole time I was reading it I was still wondering if any chickens died.

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

No chicken's were harmed in the making of this syrup

So I've got some pics. The syrup on the left is the maple I did in the machine. 100% red maple. I'd say grade A light. The machine made the maple syrup too thick I think. This is after I strained the sugar crystals out.

The one on the right is the birch syrup. 100% black birch. I'd say grade A dark by the looks of it. I didn't let the machine "finish" it because how thick it made the maple syrup I watched it till it changed consistency. Yes there is a point when it's boiling in a vacuum that the boil suddenly changes. The transition is rapid and noticeable. The birch syrup is quite a bit thicker than the maple, mostly because of the different sugars don't crystallize out like sucrose in maple does. So I'd say the brix value on the birch is 70+ while the maple is between 66 and 68 brix most likely.

Besides trying the birch on pancakes/waffles, which I plan to do, I'm also going to make some experimental candies with it. Since the birch syrup hardens like glass and has a robust fruity grade B like flavor, it seems ideal for candy making.

DSC_0605.jpg

Very cool. Thank you. I look forward to hearing how it tastes on pancakes.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Interesing !!! do you have any photos of your vacuum boiling machine. :-)

I do, but I'm going to refrain from posting them on here. I'd prefer to not reveal too much about how the machine is built and operates until I have a patent.

Understandably, keep up the good work ! Will wait for the reveal ! when the patent comes in!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Ittiz View Post
    I do, but I'm going to refrain from posting them on here. I'd prefer to not reveal too much about how the machine is built and operates until I have a patent.
    Not to dissuade you, but when you submit the application, be prepared to describe in detail how your device operates and is different from other vacuum evaporation pans that are commonly used in the (primarily cane) sugar industry.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by PerryW View Post
    I believe there used to be evaporators that used the heat from the steam of the primary evaporator to boil sap in another pan kept at a partial vacuum. The vacuum pans sat above the primary pans like a piggyback as I recall.
    You might be thinking of vapor-compression evaporators. Cornell (Lew Staats) operated one for many years at the Uihlein station.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Dr Perkins,

When thinking about scaling up I've thought about possibly licensing the technology to companies that build the beet/cane sugar evaporators (no way I could manufacture anything myself beyond a prototype). Although I've looked at their designs compared mine and they seem substantially different. Their machines produce a substantially different product as well. The devil may be in the details though, I haven't actually looked at the patents they hold. If it's the case they already hold patents for a similar enough design, at least I had fun designing/building the machine and accomplishing something no one else (to my knowledge) has.

I still haven't tried my birch syrup beyond a taste yet either, too busy with RL work lately. Hopefully I'll get a chance this week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast