+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum boiled Maple Syrup.

What pump is it? I might be able to use it at 140 °F.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

The label plate isn't on it any more so I don't have the brand any more, but if you search HVAC vacuum pump on google you'll find many. They and low CFM but high vacuum.

Vacuum and temperature aside, what does it taste like?? It seems to me that syrup with no smell would also have no flavor. If you're trying to make corn syrup, start with corn...it's a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ittiz View Post
    The label plate isn't on it any more so I don't have the brand any more, but if you search HVAC vacuum pump on google you'll find many. They and low CFM but high vacuum.
    Cool. The cheap ones seem to be mostly Robinairs.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

I'll find out this evening how it tastes. After putting it in a jar for awhile I found that it does have a light maple smell. Again the main goal for this is lighter birch syrup, which generally has a very strong flavor. I only ran maple as a test to see if the machine was working correctly before the birches began to run.

How efficient do you think it was vs. an RO for volume reduction? Does it use a lot of compressor oil?
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

Vs RO, I don't know, I never ran RO. I tried to set up RO up once, but everything just cost so much money I gave up before I got too far into it. The oil needs to be replaced often if you have to pull a vacuum from full pressure since water tends to condense in the pump. If you run the pump periodically to maintain a vacuum the oil lasts longer.

So I tasted the syrup. It's quite good, the flavor is a light mix between maple syrup and honey. I plan to try and make some candy with the sugar that is crystallized out.

Great. Thanks for telling us about your experiment. I would love to hear what happens with the birch. I tasted birch syrup tonight for the first time. I made a tiny batch starting with just 48 Oz. of sap. I like the taste, but it would be great to see if it can be lighter.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

So I had to end my experiment a little early because I got the flu and didn't have time to deal with my sap, so it fermented. I then got a bit of a scare when I looked into my concentrate (sealed inside the vacuum chamber) because it had a nasty looking layer of stuff. The inside should have been sterile because it was never opened since the last time the UV light ran. I opened it up and took a whiff and looked at the material and realized it was sugar sands. I just never noticed it before since I was always boiling it.

Since the sap was soured I decided to boil down the concentrate I already had, which was from about 10 gallons of sap total. The final result was about a quarter of quart. A dark tan color with the sugar sands still in it. The flavor is very fruity with a slight tang and none of that "molasses" robustness. Unlike traditional birch syrup I think it would go very good on pancakes or crepes, especially for anyone who likes to put fruit on top. The syrup seems like it'd be better for candy too since it tends to just harden rather than granulate like maple.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast