+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filtering Syrup - Very Slow to No Flow through Filter

I've been using the 2' x 3' flat filters with a single paper prefilter in a 12" x 24" stainless canner with a filter rack inside for 25 years and I have never wet the filter or prefilter. Once and while (especially at the beginning and ends of the season), I will have trouble passing syrup through, so I just dipper the standing syrup out, and change out the filter & prefilter. Also, I change the prefilter on each take-off and change the main filter after about 4-5 gallons of syrup.

Keeping everything hot is the best way to insure filtering. (the syrup pours out of the draw-off directly into the canner and put the cover on after the drawoff to keep the heat in.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

I'll chime in here because I've experienced the same issue.

I pull my sap and before I boil, I run it through a cheesecloth lined strainer to get rid of the bugs, etc.

After I finish my boil and the hydrometer tells me that I have syrup, I pour it through 2 or 3 pre-filters that sit on a heavy wool filter. The filters sit above a stainless steel pot that is heated to 185 degrees. As the syrup runs through, the first filter begins to get clogged and when things come to a stop, I pull that top filter and let the syrup keep running. Usually, I have to do that one more time before it all gets filtered out. The syrup is perfectly clear when I'm done and I bottle it right up. I've never had a niter problem doing it this way.

So I tried wetting the filter and filtering into a warmed pot and had no luck. Every time I would do this it would not filter much at all (maybe a tablespoon or alittle more) and then it would trickle very very slowly for a minute and then stop. I ended up dumping the syrup in the filter back into the pan and trying to filter again. I did this several times because it would not filter. Finally I said ok, I'll try and use a prefilter and then run it through the single filter after I get all of the big stuff out with the prefilter. It runs right through the prefilter and catches a bunch of sand (I guess this was niter?). Then I tried to run it though the filter again and it wouldn't go. Finally I tried running it through a prefilter again, it wouldn't go and even cheesecloth, it wouldn't go. I obviously did something wrong here. I am thinking I reheated too many times at too high a temp and kept creating more and more niter but am not 100% sure if this is the problem. Below is a picture of what I ended up with.

Syrup.jpg

Filtering small batches of maple syrup is a problem for sure.
    I think Ravenseye has it right on the mark.
    tell us how much syrup you are trying to strain?
    I agree that cheese cloth is not going to work to get the sugarsand out.
    How long did the jars set when you took the picture? I have never seen any thing like that. if you are reheating small batches a lot then you may be making candy!
    If you just making this for home use i might suggest just using the cloth filters and forget the felt. A little sugar sand on your pancakes is not going to hurt you. And the small batches may filter a lot better for you.
    Back to the beginning:
    Make syrup to correct density.
    Strain syrup immediately while boiling. Check for clarity. Should be crystal clear.
    Reheat strained syrup to 180 F and bottle while hot.

Not the flat sheets may be the same material but the cone shaped filters may work better for you?? Easier to pin to a container. Check LEADER or other dealers.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 04-04-2015 at 10:37 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I was filtering around a gallon of syrup, likely just under a gallon actually. I had it to the correct density (used a hydrometer) and tried to filter it the first time and it just wouldn't go and basically kept having the same issue and had to keep reapplying heat to keep the syrup hot to try and refilter. Basically a vicious cycle. I think I let it get too hot too many times and created a ton a sugar sand? It may not have helped that I let that batch sit for 2 days in the pan, not sure if this really matters but I had a sugar film on top of the syrup before adding heat, which dissolved it. That picture was maybe 10 mins after I bottled it knowing it was off but wanted to keep it to maybe learn something from the experience. I have always filtered right off the evaporator and used the felt filter. It usually didn't filter too quickly but I have never had a batch like this.

So I am thinking about maybe using this? And filtering it into a lightly heated pot. Then bring it back up to around 180 (not over for nitre issues) and bottling.

http://www.mapleguys.com/product/1QTSTAND.html

I'd put it all back in a pot, add some sap and do your final density check JUST BEFORE final filter and bottling... Looks like you have a jar of taffy!
    Jamie Jones
    2017 - 120 taps, 68G syrup - automated pumping from collection to head tank
    2016 - 118 taps (about half on 3/16"), 60G syrup
    2015 - 115 taps, 58G syrup - new wireless blower switch and remote pump switch from tank to shack
    2014 - 120 taps, 53G syrup - hobby vac
    2013 - 120 taps, 40G syrup - Sunrise Metal 2x6, 12x14 sugarhouse
    2012 - 44 taps, 6G syrup -gravity tube, 4 steam pans on block arch, plastic greenhouse shack - (I'm hooked!)

Looking at the jar in the picture it looks like you are making sugar. Maybe you need to check your hydrometer.

Default Vacuum filter + Büchner funnel

I went all out and got a giant Büchner funnel
    It's porcelain with a flat surface to hold filter paper flat
    Then you hook it up to a container and hook your vacuum pump to it

Ultra clear
    mine filters 4 L of thick syrup in about 2 min

Problem solved!!

Check eBay for the funnel and a 4 L Vacuum flask

Default Vacuum filter

If you don't have a vacuum pump you can buy a handpowered version that does the trick very well
    You don't even need a fancy vacuum erlynmeyer flask

Just any solid container, a drill, some gaskets and a bit of tinkering

After you try this you'll never do it another way

No switching filter paper
    No sap cooling down
    The thick layer of sediment that forms increases the filter papers filtering capacity
    Use whatman lab grade filter paper for optimal results
    Coffee filters work fine too ( unbleached)

Super fast and easy

Happy to answer any questions

Google
    vacuum filtration
    Büchner funnel
    Etc...

Can you outline the process you use to filter your syrup with a vacuum pump? What equipment is needed and what are the steps. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast