+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sugar in syrup

Default sugar in syrup

Can I reboil my syrup with more sap? Looks like I over cooked it and have sugar in bottom of jars. Hygrometer was right on when I bottled it.

Kitkat, that's what I'm doing right now. If your syrup filtered nicely and is clear, don't reboil the syrup with sap or you'll create new niter and have to refilter. If you use distilled water to thin down your heavy syrup and heat everything up slowly to 190F (without having your syrup boil) then you can rebottle into clean jars.
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

Thanks I'll try that. It looked good on the hygrometer, but I must have over cooked it. My 1st batch came out perfect.

I did the same thing, except with both my first and second batches. The density looked great when I originally bottled it, but then little crystals started to appear. The telltale sign that I somehow screwed up, and I've no idea how. The good news is that it's an easy fix.
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

I had the same thing happen, the hydrometer was good but its too thick. I was thing that the temp was off so that made the hydrometer off. I didn't convert it I just went to the line.

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    Can I reboil my syrup with more sap? Looks like I over cooked it and have sugar in bottom of jars. Hygrometer was right on when I bottled it.
    Are you sure that's not just niter? If the hydrometer was spot on I think you might be fine.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Maybe it's because you used a hygrometer instead of a hydrometer, ha.
    Now I don't feel so bad...I've overcooked both my batches so far. I thinned mine with sap. The first time I used heated sap after the syrup had been filtered, the second time cold sap before filtering. Worked great both times.

If the "sugar" was there like the next morning it's probably niter that settled out. Sugar crystals take a while to show up.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

It depends on how long you are keeping it hot while filtering and bottling. If you extend that process under say 185 degrees for long enough you will actually lose more water content and make your syrup heavier. I actually run mine through the filters just a tad light and by the time I've bottled it's good. I checked it several times this year and once I was heavy on a batch that was slow to filter and I had reheated it for a second run through the filters. I checked it cold just before bottling and had to thin it. Cold testing your syrup with a hydrometer is the best check for true density as the temp is steady and not changing as you test.

Quote Originally Posted by Run Forest Run! View Post
    I did the same thing, except with both my first and second batches. The density looked great when I originally bottled it, but then little crystals started to appear. The telltale sign that I somehow screwed up, and I've no idea how. The good news is that it's an easy fix.
    So this happened to me this morning... No problems on my first boil last weekend. Evaporated yesterday and filtered, after reaching syrup per hydrometer. Refrigerated it and heated to 190 this morning. First four jars, 4 oz mason jars are clear. 3 8 oz syrup bottles all have crystals. I'm guessing it got too hot while waiting to bottle those, but my thermometer never read higher than195.

Quote Originally Posted by saphound View Post
    Maybe it's because you used a hygrometer instead of a hydrometer, ha.
    Now I don't feel so bad...I've overcooked both my batches so far. I thinned mine with sap. The first time I used heated sap after the syrup had been filtered, the second time cold sap before filtering. Worked great both times.
    I have sap that I could add - no distilled water as Karen has used -. Saphound how hot did you heat the sap before adding to the heated syrup?

Other than "my syrup has crystals" is it problematic to leave the bottles as they are? Are they likely to crystallize even further as they cool?

Also, two of the four jelly jars have popped. The remaining two have not -- I only bottled a couple hours ago. I've canned, but haven't used the mason jars for syrup before. What shall I do if they don't pop. And, could I just add these two jars, and bottles back to reheat and rebottle if I wanted?

Janet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast