+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Black Walnut Syrup

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kimball Michigan
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I use the same reference point of 219*

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ma&Pa line
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thanks Jeff! I had asked because as I was getting close to syrup it seemed to have a greater tendency to boil over than maple syrup does.

    A little input for those that are not getting much sap production from their black walnuts. With black walnuts having such a thick and deeply furrowed bark when I tapped my first trees I drilled in the valley or thin part of the bark and set the taps as usual for a maple. When I drilled the sap started flowing immediately and profusely, however it slowed significantly once the taps were set. I wondered if the seating of the taps was compressing the wood too much where the sap flowed on a black walnut. As a test I tapped an additional tree but this time I drilled on the high thick portion of the bark and set the taps a little lighter. The hope was that the thick bark would still make the seal around the tap, but that the tap itself would not compress the sapwood. That tree produces half again more sap than the others and the thick bark does make a good seal without me having to go back and set them as hard as I usually do to seal.
    This is just a couple of trees and your mileage may vary, but I would like to hear others thoughts and experiences with how they tap their walnuts.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Clarksville, MI
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Thanks for the tip. Tapped a black walnut today as an experiment and did it the same way you did on your first attempt. Sap started fast and slowed down, just like you said. I'll try it the other way and see how it goes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma&Pa-sapper View Post
    Thanks Jeff! I had asked because as I was getting close to syrup it seemed to have a greater tendency to boil over than maple syrup does.

    A little input for those that are not getting much sap production from their black walnuts. With black walnuts having such a thick and deeply furrowed bark when I tapped my first trees I drilled in the valley or thin part of the bark and set the taps as usual for a maple. When I drilled the sap started flowing immediately and profusely, however it slowed significantly once the taps were set. I wondered if the seating of the taps was compressing the wood too much where the sap flowed on a black walnut. As a test I tapped an additional tree but this time I drilled on the high thick portion of the bark and set the taps a little lighter. The hope was that the thick bark would still make the seal around the tap, but that the tap itself would not compress the sapwood. That tree produces half again more sap than the others and the thick bark does make a good seal without me having to go back and set them as hard as I usually do to seal.
    This is just a couple of trees and your mileage may vary, but I would like to hear others thoughts and experiences with how they tap their walnuts.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Allegan, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Here's an interesting discussion on filtering the walnut sap/syrup. I've tapped 3 very large walnuts about a week ago, one tap each and have gotten around 1 gallon of sap so far.


    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...apping-Walnuts
    42.54°N 85.86°W

    Fourth season sugaring...........

    2014- 3 taps, a couple quarts of finished syrup
    2015- 12 taps, 2 1/2 gallons syrup
    2016 - Put out 24 maple taps, and 3 walnut taps. Collected 240 gallons of sap, and bottled up about 6.5 gallons of maple syrup. About 12oz of walnut syrup.
    2017 - About 4 gallons of the most amazing syrup I've ever had!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Clarksville, MI
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Should the walnut sap be crystal clear like the maple sap? What I collected from the walnut today was slightly yellow. But I wonder if I didn't hit healthy sap wood? There was some dark shavings before I hit the light colored shavings when I tapped.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18

    Default

    As a data point, all of the walnut I've gotten this year (~30 gallons) has been a bit cloudy with a slight tint to it.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    131

    Default

    @Zucker Lager

    That chaga fetches quite a price! Look into it for selling for tea, it is a super food (well drink) like maple.

    Sorry don't want to derail the thread. I would love to try some walnut syrup some time……some day!

    Mike

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Lenhartsville Pa
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MidMichMaple View Post
    Should the walnut sap be crystal clear like the maple sap? What I collected from the walnut today was slightly yellow. But I wonder if I didn't hit healthy sap wood? There was some dark shavings before I hit the light colored shavings when I tapped.
    The first collection after tapping walnuts I see off color ( yellow or brown ) walnut sap in about 50 % of my buckets. After that it is as clear as maple sap. I toss out the off color sap the first time collecting.
    2015 20 bucket taps, 3 buffet pan oil tank arch, 6 gallon of syrup.

    2016 143 Maple taps on 3/16" , 20 maple bucket taps , 79 Walnut taps on 3/16" , 55 Walnut bucket taps, 2x6 Smoky Hybrid , 16x20 Sugar House and 2 Honey Bee Hives.

    PA German Sugar House http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...an-Sugar-House

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Clarksville, MI
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Thanks. The walnut sap I got today was clear, so my experience seems to align with yours.
    Year 1: 7 taps total. One gallon of syrup made over wood and propane.
    Year 2: Missed out due to moving during maple season!
    Year 3: 6 taps. Propane only this time.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ma&Pa line
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MidMichMaple View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Tapped a black walnut today as an experiment and did it the same way you did on your first attempt. Sap started fast and slowed down, just like you said. I'll try it the other way and see how it goes.
    Glad it may have helped. So which method of tapping your walnuts seems to be working best for you MidMichMaple?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts