+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Walnut Syrup

I use the same reference point of 219*

Thanks Jeff! I had asked because as I was getting close to syrup it seemed to have a greater tendency to boil over than maple syrup does.

A little input for those that are not getting much sap production from their black walnuts. With black walnuts having such a thick and deeply furrowed bark when I tapped my first trees I drilled in the valley or thin part of the bark and set the taps as usual for a maple. When I drilled the sap started flowing immediately and profusely, however it slowed significantly once the taps were set. I wondered if the seating of the taps was compressing the wood too much where the sap flowed on a black walnut. As a test I tapped an additional tree but this time I drilled on the high thick portion of the bark and set the taps a little lighter. The hope was that the thick bark would still make the seal around the tap, but that the tap itself would not compress the sapwood. That tree produces half again more sap than the others and the thick bark does make a good seal without me having to go back and set them as hard as I usually do to seal.
    This is just a couple of trees and your mileage may vary, but I would like to hear others thoughts and experiences with how they tap their walnuts.

Thanks for the tip. Tapped a black walnut today as an experiment and did it the same way you did on your first attempt. Sap started fast and slowed down, just like you said. I'll try it the other way and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma&Pa-sapper View Post
    Thanks Jeff! I had asked because as I was getting close to syrup it seemed to have a greater tendency to boil over than maple syrup does.

A little input for those that are not getting much sap production from their black walnuts. With black walnuts having such a thick and deeply furrowed bark when I tapped my first trees I drilled in the valley or thin part of the bark and set the taps as usual for a maple. When I drilled the sap started flowing immediately and profusely, however it slowed significantly once the taps were set. I wondered if the seating of the taps was compressing the wood too much where the sap flowed on a black walnut. As a test I tapped an additional tree but this time I drilled on the high thick portion of the bark and set the taps a little lighter. The hope was that the thick bark would still make the seal around the tap, but that the tap itself would not compress the sapwood. That tree produces half again more sap than the others and the thick bark does make a good seal without me having to go back and set them as hard as I usually do to seal.
    This is just a couple of trees and your mileage may vary, but I would like to hear others thoughts and experiences with how they tap their walnuts.

Here's an interesting discussion on filtering the walnut sap/syrup. I've tapped 3 very large walnuts about a week ago, one tap each and have gotten around 1 gallon of sap so far.

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...apping-Walnuts
    42.54°N 85.86°W

Fourth season sugaring...........

2014- 3 taps, a couple quarts of finished syrup
    2015- 12 taps, 2 1/2 gallons syrup
    2016 - Put out 24 maple taps, and 3 walnut taps. Collected 240 gallons of sap, and bottled up about 6.5 gallons of maple syrup. About 12oz of walnut syrup.
    2017 - About 4 gallons of the most amazing syrup I've ever had!

Should the walnut sap be crystal clear like the maple sap? What I collected from the walnut today was slightly yellow. But I wonder if I didn't hit healthy sap wood? There was some dark shavings before I hit the light colored shavings when I tapped.

As a data point, all of the walnut I've gotten this year (~30 gallons) has been a bit cloudy with a slight tint to it.

@Zucker Lager

That chaga fetches quite a price! Look into it for selling for tea, it is a super food (well drink) like maple.

Sorry don't want to derail the thread. I would love to try some walnut syrup some time……some day!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MidMichMaple View Post
    Should the walnut sap be crystal clear like the maple sap? What I collected from the walnut today was slightly yellow. But I wonder if I didn't hit healthy sap wood? There was some dark shavings before I hit the light colored shavings when I tapped.
    The first collection after tapping walnuts I see off color ( yellow or brown ) walnut sap in about 50 % of my buckets. After that it is as clear as maple sap. I toss out the off color sap the first time collecting.
    2015 20 bucket taps, 3 buffet pan oil tank arch, 6 gallon of syrup.

2016 143 Maple taps on 3/16" , 20 maple bucket taps , 79 Walnut taps on 3/16" , 55 Walnut bucket taps, 2x6 Smoky Hybrid , 16x20 Sugar House and 2 Honey Bee Hives.

PA German Sugar House http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...an-Sugar-House

Thanks. The walnut sap I got today was clear, so my experience seems to align with yours.
    Year 1: 7 taps total. One gallon of syrup made over wood and propane.
    Year 2: Missed out due to moving during maple season!
    Year 3: 6 taps. Propane only this time.

Quote Originally Posted by MidMichMaple View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Tapped a black walnut today as an experiment and did it the same way you did on your first attempt. Sap started fast and slowed down, just like you said. I'll try it the other way and see how it goes.
    Glad it may have helped. So which method of tapping your walnuts seems to be working best for you MidMichMaple?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123