+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lowest temperature for taking syrup off?

Default lowest temperature for taking syrup off?

This is my second season cooking. The other day we were taking syrup off at 213.5 f which to me didnt seem right but it tested perfect on two hydrometers. I know the temp can change for boiling, what was the lowest temp you have ever taken syrup off at?

7 degrees on a
    0-7 theremomter....... all theremometers are different and some can be adjusted. was yours adjusted to boiling weater that day, that is always your benchmark.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

I never make syrup on temperature alone. I only use temp as a guideline of when to check with my hydrometer, but I have never seen it below 218 for my place. usually I'm pushing 220

I was using a homemade auto draw with a auberins SYL-2352 pid unit with a rtd pt100 probe. My brother in-law with a lot bigger set up said he was taking off the same day at 213.9 f.

Drawoff temp depends on a lot of factors. Water (and sap/syrup) boils at a lower temperature at altitude (due to reduced atmospheric pressure) than it does at sea level. If your probe isn't completely immersed in the syrup and is at the interface between syrup and foam you might get syrup at the right density but the probe says a much lower temp than the 219± we typically draw off at. Similarly, if your probe is too close to the bottom of the pan it might read hotter than actual because of the fire beneath the bottom of the stainless steel.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by ennismaple View Post
    Drawoff temp depends on a lot of factors. Water (and sap/syrup) boils at a lower temperature at altitude (due to reduced atmospheric pressure) than it does at sea level. If your probe isn't completely immersed in the syrup and is at the interface between syrup and foam you might get syrup at the right density but the probe says a much lower temp than the 219± we typically draw off at. Similarly, if your probe is too close to the bottom of the pan it might read hotter than actual because of the fire beneath the bottom of the stainless steel.
    I could believe that my probe could be up a little to high. I have been running my pan around an 1 1/4" deep and the probe is set at 3/4" from the bottom

Altitude and weather will effect it. my sugarhouse is over 1800 ft above sea level. I've had syrup draw under 210 when a low pressure system is in.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Perhaps this does not pertain to your question, but correct density syrup can be made without ever coming to a boil at all.

Quote Originally Posted by John c View Post
    Perhaps this does not pertain to your question, but correct density syrup can be made without ever coming to a boil at all.
    That's what I was kind of wondering my new cooker that we made the highest temp we had in the pan was 217 and we kept checking it it tested good and the rest of the night we kept pulling off at different temps 213.5 being the lowest thanks for the info

+ Reply to Thread