+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any health concerns using off/buddy flavor syrup for cooking

Default Any health concerns using off/buddy flavor syrup for cooking

I have silver maples that are budding and the syrup has started to be off flavor the sap is still clear it is edible just not as good and the smell is not sweet when boiling.Are there any health concerns using it for cooking trying to decide if I should quit or keep going.
    Home made RO thanks to MapleTrader
    2 LP fish fryers
    2013 5 gallons syrup
    2014 14 gallons syrup

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by 4010 View Post
    I have silver maples that are budding and the syrup has started to be off flavor the sap is still clear it is edible just not as good and the smell is not sweet when boiling.Are there any health concerns using it for cooking trying to decide if I should quit or keep going.
    Are the buds actually opening or just they look bigger?

Either way, it won't hurt you.....just tastes terrible.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

They are opening bushy looking and white color growth.
    2 LP fish fryers
    2013 5 gallons syrup
    2014 14 gallons syrup

2015-03-22_15-59-58_685.jpg
    Here's a picture the buds had just opened on some trees then the next morning we had 20 degrees. Sap flowed good and made some good syrup before off flavor.Thank you for the info.
    2 LP fish fryers
    2013 5 gallons syrup
    2014 14 gallons syrup

Those buds ARE opened. You may want to try making maple sugar with it, generally the heat to convert it to sugar actually removes the buddy flavor or at least a good % of it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

those look way past the point of making decent syrup. years ago I tried making candy out of buddy syrup and all it made nothing but terrible tasting candy.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

I did get some good tasting syrup yesterday. The sap flowed very good last 2 days hoping to get another good batch tonight.
    2 LP fish fryers
    2013 5 gallons syrup
    2014 14 gallons syrup

I'm going to step out on a limb here. What you are looking at are the flower buds. There's a previous thread talking about this same phenomena. Is the "off tasting" syrup darker? The reason I ask is that for years, literally years, I was beset with off tasting syrup that would mysteriously come and go. What I found in my case was the syrup was FINE. The only thing was the "off tasting" syrup was a darker grade! Seems at the time my preference was towards lighter syrup. I actually traded samples with a guy and he reassured me that the syrup was good, that my perception of how syrup should taste might be off (I'm kinda putting words in his mouth so...) anyway, the question remains. Is the "off" syrup darker? By the way, once I found out that my syrup was okay, I found that I'm tending to prefer the darker grades. Go figure! I hope your "problem" wqas as simple as mine. Good luck and have fun, Ted

I'm boiling even as I type so I had to cut it short. The previous thread is titled "Tree budding question". If your process is good and you haven't changed anything I might be right. However, everyone who knows me will tell you I'm a moron. Take it all with a grain of salt! Ted

I don't think its the different grades I kept some sap separate from some young trees thinking it would be better because buds were smaller the syrup is the lightest I made this year and the worst tasting. one other thing is the smell of the sap when its boiling is off not sweet at all when I get the off flavor.
    2 LP fish fryers
    2013 5 gallons syrup
    2014 14 gallons syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast