+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapping

Default Tapping

Andrew
    Just wondering if you are tapping yet. I'm getting the itch to tap but more than likely I have 3 weeks till that time.
    Keith

andrew martin Guest

I tapped January 16 and 17, and I have not gathered a drop of sap in almost two weeks. We have made 14 gallons of light amber syrup so far. I tap in January because my wife is graduate student and her classes begin the first week of FEbruary and we try to be done by then. This year though, school has started, the taps are still in and will hopefully be in for at least two more weeks. This is the coldest winter we have had in five years. We have 240 taps in currently, and it is supposed to warm up slightly this weekend.

Andrew

I hope the weather still gives you many more days to boil before it warms up too much.
    Keith

andrew martin Guest

Typically by the middle of March our sugaring weather is kaput - it just depends what February is like. Last year we had several 60 degree days the three weeks we tapped and our season was short-lived. Hopefully this year is different.

THe sap started running today on the south facing slopes - it was a perfectly clear day.

AKM

+ Reply to Thread