+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pickup truck tank

I have the same tank as mapleman3. I get most of the sap out by raising the body on the dump truck I gather with. I have to be carefull though, the tank will slide right out if I lift it too much. I have enlarged the hole in the opening at the top so that I can pump the rest of it out with a small electric submersable pump.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Bucket head,
    Did you get the spiles?

The 210 tank I sold Dave Y wasn't bad to wrestle around but the 325 gallon is heavier plus I built a steel angle skid frame to mount and secure the tank in the truck. The frame adds some weight too but I added handles which work great for lifting the tank into the bed and tying the tank to the bed hooks. I was really surprised that the truck really doesn't rock much with a half a tank of sap while moving or stopping. The lid on my tanks is about 16 inches in dia. and I can reach into it and hose it out with hot water at the end of each day. We also gravity feed off the back of the truck to a holding tank. Fortunately we have the correct slope compared to Andrew and 98% of the sap comes out.

I got some PVC fittings and a check valve for the remote pump and will start rigging that up this week end. The tubing system is starting to come together slowly.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Maple Hill Sugarhouse Guest

i got one of those bilge pumps that do 750 GPH at walmart on a red tag special yesterday=$11. are they food grade? are they certified lead free? any of the inside components food safe?

Maple Hill,
    Thats a screamin deal on the pump.
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Sugarmaker- i need to look up the exact plans in the file/but i pretty much got what you'll need to do to get the job done-I'll send you a PM in a few days after i look for them/You know this is HI-TEC so if you don't do it right=we'll i just say it might not work. (Where are those laughing faces when i need about 10 of them?)

Ok I'm on it right now-maybe in 15 minutes i'll find it ?? Gotta be able to keep the secret though so i can sell the idea=like royalmaple said one time....

There was 1 pump left if anyone wants it? =I'll send it to you W/the cost of postage added. $3 ??

I don't even need the first one/but hey if i do need it i have it..

I am thinking put the tank up on a pallet to raise it 4 " in the truck then a bulkhead fitting and move the valve to the bottom with an elbow then the valve, should do the trick and pretty cheap, I don't want to pump.. gravity so I can walk away from it and get the evap going every night at dump time.... sounds like a plan. thanks for all your input !!
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Jim,

Just make sure you get one of the heavy duty pallets to be safe or reinforce it some. 300 gallons of sap is 2500+ lbs.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Ok- here's the trick/Plans. I've Keep you waiting too long.

The elbow in the tanks is turned sideways(if you can or a kid get inside the tank this can be done while still attached or it will have to be removed) and a 2"X1 1/2 reducer is glued inside the elbow pipe- Then a piece of 1 1/2" PVC is glued into the reducer so that when the eldow is angled down towards the bottom of the tank it touches the bottom of the tank. A very small notch is cut out of the end of the 1 1/2" PVC so that your tank is now empty before you loose your suction from the elbow before it's empty.

Of course the drain end of the tank needs to be slightly lower then the opposite end so the very last of the sap will be at the elbow end.

The original elbow is at the bottom of the tank/But it's notch is cut in like 3/8" higher from the edge. Your 1 1/2" PVC will be the same length of the elbow with a much smaller notch made in it.

Idea was published in the NH Maple Producers "Gathering tank" by Don Lassonde who is the secretary. I can't seem to find my old issue with that in it but maybe russ has it? or i told sugarmaker to get a hold of Don and maybe he can post the exact pans?
    Last edited by Maple Hill Sugarhouse; 02-13-2007 at 08:35 AM. Reason: fixed some spelling errors

Kevin that sounds like a plan !! I'm going to give that a whirl and see how it does... I would rather not make another hole in the tank, I will still put it up on a pallet just to get it above my bulk tank(which I'm dropping down a little more.... I don't like using a pump so this should work great Thanks.

And Brandon, I will get a sturdy pallet, but the tank is only 210 gal.. still alot of weight when filled though
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast