+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Low Can Someone Go?

Default How Low Can Someone Go?

My Father got a call from his life-long friend last night, he taps about 80 buckets to show his grandchildren how to make syrup, enjoys making a little syrup for himself. Sometime during the night some low-life stole 28 buckets,lids and spiles from the trees in front of his driveway along the road, turns out another sugarmaker down the road also lost some buckets. I guess buckets for scrap metal might get you a "fix"? My son asked me today if we were gong to put our buckets up at the road, I did tap them today but hopefully these low lifes aren't in there when I am going into the bush, my rifle might not agree with their vehicle, but then I would be charged instead of them. Also if I were to catch them they would probably come back and ruin the pans or burn the sugarhouse down, as they have nothing better to do and wouldn't want to work for anything like the rest of us do.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

BruceL
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your stuff. Hopefully karma will pay them back. It's best to keep your head like you said, no sense going to jail. Leave the rifle home and bring a camera. Grand kids can't help make syrup when you aren't there. Keep you head up and make lots of syrup.

Matt
    MATT

2013 - 35 taps
    boiling on a revamped wood stove. 3 1/2 gallons
    2014 - life stepped in. Made a little
    2015 - Around 45 taps. Homemade barrel evap. 6 gallons made.
    2016 - made 4 1/2 gallons of syrup
    2017 had to take a break this year

Very frustrating indeed!

It is sad what thugs will do. My family quit sugaring in the 90s when some punks burnt down the shack. They were mad because they got run off from the property for riding 4 wheelers through the lines. My cousin just didn't have the heart to rebuild and none of his kids wanted to sugar. I missed the syrup so that is why I started my hobby operation in 2008. From my father to my cousins they had around 20 years invested and it was all gone in one night.

Had the same problems, not just with maple related stuff, also other farm equipment and products; this year I put a trail camera on my vacuum system that is off of a road away from the main farm, I'm not worried about them stealing the tank as it is almost too heavy to move with a backhoe but more worried about the vacuum pump, releaser, moisture trap and vandals… We have tried it all, best thing to do is either to just scare them away and verbally teach them a lesson (but always be prepared for the worst) or use a camera like brass said and also get their names, license plate, and call the cops if you can (not that they will do much about it in such a small case). Best of luck.
    2,000+ taps and growing
    3'x12' Vortex, MAX flue, and steamaway
    24'x48' timber frame sugarhouse

There certainly are a ton of low life's in our world. Hopefully their due karma will come soon.
    2011 - 6 buckets
    Stove Top
    2012 - 15 buckets
    2013 - 19 buckets
    Camper cook stove with 3 high propane burners
    Custom made 42x14x7 maple pan with dividers
    2015 - New 12x16 Sugar Shack
    2015 - New Lapierre Propane Evaporator
    2016 - 28 buckets
    2017 - 30 buckets
    2019 - 32 buckets
    2023 - 32 buckets - Good to be back

That's pretty darn low. You know, being new to this I was wondering about theft when I discovered how much all this equipment costs...even new buckets with lids are expensive. Trail cams definitely a good idea. I've had a problem with low lifes dumping all kinds of junk on my property along the road where they throw it over a steep bank and take off. I put up a sign that said "Smile For The Camera". There wasn't one, but it's worked pretty well. Just an idea.

Don't think your tank is totally safe either. A couple of years ago, some tanks were cut up presumably for scrap and stolen. As others have said, some people have nothing better to do. My guess is that we, the tax payers even pay for their food, housing and cell phone too.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That sucks for sure. Just a thought, how bout using plastic buckets near the road? Dont think plastic brings too much at the scrapyard these days.
    2011, 1st time. 8 taps, turkey fryer. 3 quarts syrup
    2012, 25? taps, homemade barrel stove, steam pan. hoping 3 to 5 gallons

canadians can have guns? sniper them shoot the engine and then run hide the rifle what are they going to say, umm mr mounted officer i was stealing these buckets when some one shot my engine block.
    I most likely have my SKS with me in the woods and a pistol you never know when you might be attacked by a coydog or mountain lion or druggy
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

+ Reply to Thread