+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not a drop yet

Default Not a drop yet

300 cvtaps in for a week now and the lines aren't even wet, 10 with a high of 20 today. Looks like the end of next week it might break here in Lancaster. Still have snow up to my waist. I guess I will put the buckets out today. Saw a few blowing around town yesterday, full sap buckets don't blow off trees.

Jay , Frost pocket maple camp

not much happening in Littleton either. I started tapping a week ago yesterday and I don't see any sap till possibly the end of next week. I'm gonna hold off hanging my buckets till there's a chance of a sap flow.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

I know I'm a newbie still because every time it gets close to above freezing and there's a little sun I start walking the property in the unlikely miracle that the sap started flowing. Collected enough last week to make a gallon, at least I can have french toast this weekend.
    Pete Nightingale
    Lisbon, NH

3 Teenage sap haulers & Plenty of friends and family to restock the beer fridge
    2012 1 tap and a pot
    2013 10 taps, oil tank evap, 2 gallons of slightly too thin syrup
    2014 48 taps improved oil tank evap 3.5 gallons, ouch??
    2015 88 taps 78 5/16" and 10 3/16" nat vac 40"x 48" Homemade Arch 13.25 Gallons
    2016 100 taps 65 on 3/16 & 35 buckets 17 gallons + unknown amount of maple / Jack Daniels testers

We're an hour north of you we've only had one run to date on high vacuum. Maybe this Saturday. Next Wednesday looks better.
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

No vac with us and it has run off and on have about fifty gallons in storage at this point but no boil yet. Last two days cold and winds yesterday were unreal today not as bad but late this afternoon trees in direct sun started to run a little, looks like maybe a little over the weekend but next week looks better. Cold tonight again colder then last night. Checked our stats from last year and first boil was 29th and we only went two weeks as it was.
    10x21 sugar house
    400 taps
    227 gravity pipeline
    Rest Buckets

Been pretty cold for me the last few days. Had to tie my buckets to the trees in some spots. Only got about a gallon of sap since Tuesday. Looking forward to the warmer weekend.
    Guns n' Hose Sugarhouse
    Ian and Samanatha MacMillan
    Wakefield, NH

Facebook

2015 - 15 buckets, 2 bags and 5 on 5/16 gravity. Made about 1 gal of maple and a whole lotta learning points. Currently working on birch and building the sugarhouse.

This weather really sucks. Cold, then windy and cold and more cold tomorrow, warm up after that and then more cold. Sorry had to vent.
    I've got about 100 gal so far, just enough to almost sweeten the pans.
    Looking like a repeat from last year where my whole season was 14 days
    Stay optimistic

Also, added 30 taps on 3/16 and was pulling 23" one day and 17" the next day but nothing in the tank.
    Hope warmer temps will change that.
    Last edited by Drew Pond Maple; 03-19-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Add stuff
    Mike

12 x 16 Sugar house
    18”x72” CDL drop flue
    Homemade 4 post RO
    125 taps on vacuum (Guzzler)
    Smoky Lake 7” filter press

Guess what it an a little today but the cold winds start again tonight and worse then last last week and go into Monday. Had some rain late this afternoon but temps starting ti drop and state and local road crews are out dumping sand or salt so what does that say. Next week looks good but who know mother nature controls this year
    10x21 sugar house
    400 taps
    227 gravity pipeline
    Rest Buckets

+ Reply to Thread