+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defoamer on "standing boil"?

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Default Defoamer on "standing boil"?

I know it's important to defoam when there is a covering of foam, to prevent scorching and to increase evaporation.

In my flue pan there is a "standing boil" above the ends of the flues near the syrup pan when things are good and hot. This is a rolling boil, not foam just sitting there. A drop or two of defoamer will cause most of this standing boil to collapse from maybe eight inches to three inches.

Intuitively, it seems that this taller boil would speed evaporation. Is this true or false?

Do you add defoamer to tame the "standing boil" as well as to disburse building foam?

Anyone have an insight?

Quote Originally Posted by buck3m View Post
    I know it's important to defoam when there is a covering of foam, to prevent scorching and to increase evaporation.

In my flue pan there is a "standing boil" above the ends of the flues near the syrup pan when things are good and hot. This is a rolling boil, not foam just sitting there. A drop or two of defoamer will cause most of this standing boil to collapse from maybe eight inches to three inches.

Intuitively, it seems that this taller boil would speed evaporation. Is this true or false?

Do you add defoamer to tame the "standing boil" as well as to disburse building foam?
    Technically, using defoamer is supposed to increase evaporation. Without defoamer, the steam created at the surface of the boiling liquid has to fight it's way thought 8 inches of foam to get out of the pan and some of it condenses and drips back into the liquid.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

The defoamer is more for the syrup pan. But you add it in the flue pan. If you put it in the syrup pan near the draw off, it would push the syrup away from the draw off causing you to make syrup in the middle of the pan and not near the draw off.
    To your original question. I doubt it has a by real effect on evap rate.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

I use a drop of defoamer in the steam away float box, the flue pan float box and a drop at the draw off area. That's how I was taught by Leader. Maybe this has changed. I thought the drop at the draw off port helped bring the syrup to that point??

On the standing boil. I would not worry to much about that. Sounds like your ripping right along!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks everyone for the input. This page on defoaming from Cornell makes a lot of sense. http://www.cceoneida.com/assets/Agri...g-Defoamer.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by buck3m View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. This page on defoaming from Cornell makes a lot of sense. http://www.cceoneida.com/assets/Agri...g-Defoamer.pdf
    That's where I was gleaning information from. Just couldn't remember where I read it before. Thanks for posting!
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

So. is it best to add the defamer in the sap pan where the sap enters the pan (float box) or the outlet of the sap pan to the syrup pan? If the defoamer it is attracting the sugar, it would make sense to put it at the outlet where you are transferring the sweetest sap to the front pan.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    Wood Fired 2X6 with piggy back
    Great family & friends to help
    One expensive hobby!

Add it only either in the float box inlet, or where the sap first hits the flue pan and add every time you fuel.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread