+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clear Leader filter press

Now that this press has been out there for a few years, what is everone's take on it? Is it worth the extra money over a aluminum press? Does leader make a specific cart for it?
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Fourth year with mine and no issues at all. Never had a metal plate press, so I can't compare, but it's nice to see what's going on Inside the press. You know exactly how much cake you're building when you start up and how much syrup remains to be pumped out when you're done. The pneumatic diaphragm pump is also a thing of beauty.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have never seen one in operation and have wondered about how it looks during filling. When I do an autopsy on my filter chambers cake build up we know it starts at the filter paper surface and builds up until the two surfaces become one. When filtering smaller amounts without much DE I end up with what is best describes as a Ravioli with no ingredients inside. How long during the filtering process before the inside cakes over stopping the ability to see syrup swirling around.

I was wondering where a guy could get some food grade Portland cement to mix in with my DE. I was hoping to start building the foundation to a new addition to the shack and wanted to recycle my filter cakes into little bricks. You know to save the environment.

JUST KIDDING FOLKS I WOULDN'T DO IT

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Fourth year with mine and no issues at all. Never had a metal plate press, so I can't compare, but it's nice to see what's going on Inside the press. You know exactly how much cake you're building when you start up and how much syrup remains to be pumped out when you're done. The pneumatic diaphragm pump is also a thing of beauty.
    What did you end up mounting it on? Thank you for your insight.
    Memprotec 350H RO

Quote Originally Posted by VTnewguy View Post
    What did you end up mounting it on? Thank you for your insight.
    I bought a commercial metal cart so I could roll it around from the bottler and pump area to the door for cleaning. Pretty simple and with a bottom tray the to hold papers and other "stuff". As I recall the cart is rated at 1200 lbs and ran about $200. The same or very close to this link:
    https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/m...handle-18-x-32
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

No more cracking plastic? I heard from a non Leader dealer they knew a guy that cracked 6 plates this year. Wondering how long the pipe is he's using to tighten it down??

A brand new Leader 5 bank is at the house waiting for next spring! Can't wait! No more washing orlon and prefilters!
    Memprotec 350H RO

I suggest you use it a time or two as you pack more retail containers to get familiar with it. Once you get used to using it, you will never want to go back to your old method of filtering.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We’ve had the clear press with the diaphragm pump for a few years now. Previously we had cast iron and aluminum. We will never go back. Can’t honestly think of a good reason the other presses or pumps are better. Have not had an issue with the odd size filters. The plates are lighter and easier to work with when hot. The diaphragm pump is simple and provides more control and you can’t beat being able to see what’s going on inside the plates.

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I suggest you use it a time or two as you pack more retail containers to get familiar with it. Once you get used to using it, you will never want to go back to your old method of filtering.
    Thank you, we have never packed in glass because of the filter process we used. Can't wait to try some different bottles.
    Memprotec 350H RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast