+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Almost no "maple" flavor

Default Almost no "maple" flavor

Last year I ended up with about 5 pints of syrup, all of which was sweet and good tasting, but had little "maple" flavor. I have almost exclusively red maples. Do some trees have less or more taste than the others?

Yes, I seem to find that to be true. My syrup (from a variety of maples) tastes a little nutty and buttery. Later in the season it changes. It also differs depending on how long I boil it before finishing.

This was mostly just like a simple syrup, boiled down to a sort of carmel color and the consistency of maple syrup.

Are you sure you had syrup. Most small producers don't have a hydrometer and sometimes using temperature can be off.
    20 plus years of 2 by 2 flat pan
    2014 new Phaneuf 2 by 6 drop flue
    350 taps on gravity 20 on bucket

I tap reds as well. My syrup has always had a lighter flavour. The first year I used math to decide when I had boiled it enough. The second year I used math and a little bit of experience from the year before. The third year I used a thermometer. This year I'm using a hydrotherm.

Each year my syrup got a little more maple flavour to it. The first year I also finished in batches, and you could see the colour change. Since then I've boiled all my runs down to close to finished, and then I finish them all together.

I have a pretty small set up, just 17 taps, so you may not be able to do the same as me.

I've always had syrup that's been lighter in flavour and colour that what you can buy from producers. I actually prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by rayi View Post
    Are you sure you had syrup. Most small producers don't have a hydrometer and sometimes using temperature can be off.
    It was brown, and thick. Like syrup. One batch had an almost honey-like consistency when cooled (overboiled obviously). Crazyjackcsa might be onto something, might just be my trees.

I have almost Reds also Early boils are generally lite and look and taste great. The later in the year it gets the more maple flavor it has,which I actually prefer

Quote Originally Posted by slammer3364 View Post
    I have almost Reds also Early boils are generally lite and look and taste great. The later in the year it gets the more maple flavor it has,which I actually prefer
    Great stuff. I thought you couldn't use the sap after the buds came out? My trees all have those little red tips on them now.

Quote Originally Posted by RIFoster View Post
    Great stuff. I thought you couldn't use the sap after the buds came out? My trees all have those little red tips on them now.
    Reds have those buds all winter. It's one sure way to tell sugar maples from reds.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

I have only red maples and the syrup so far tastes much like butter and honey with just a hint of maple. The shallower I keep the liquid when boiling, the more maple flavor it seems to have, but it all tastes great.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

+ Reply to Thread