+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sugar sand

Default sugar sand

Is it me or does it seem like the sugar sand is heavier this season? I've made about 10 gals and have had to drain and clean my pan twice already, and using a gravity filter it is taking forever. Just wondering if anyone else experancing this.

Same thing over here in Gahanna. I'm hopeing things will clean up as we get back into a good freeze thaw cycle. We need to get some really good runs to get anything out of the season.
    Matt's Free Range Maple Syrup
    2013 8 taps, 55 gal barrel & a 10 gal pot 5 gal syrup
    2014 90 taps, fuel tank 2x4

Seems heavier to me as well, I use a gravity filter off the evaporator to a large pan then finish it on the burner. I use pre filters when draining off the evaporator, about four of them the bottom one I have clipped to the pan then lay the others on top of it, when it starts to slow down I slide one off. Seems to work pretty good, Then when I finish on the burner I pour it into my tap container that has the final cone filter and two cone pre filters in it. Set it on the burner bring it to temp and tap it into the jars. A lot easier then the first year. Guess we learn as we go. Would like to have a vac system and a shack, we'll see.

+ Reply to Thread