+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cinder Block Arch - Stove Pipe Connection Picures

Is it a MUST to have a pipe with a block arch? I want to cook today, but i dont have a pipe set up to be used with my block arch. Maybe its better to have it, but is it a make or break situation? What do i need to worry about if i dont have one?

Quote Originally Posted by sticknstring View Post
    Is it a MUST to have a pipe with a block arch? I want to cook today, but i dont have a pipe set up to be used with my block arch. Maybe its better to have it, but is it a make or break situation? What do i need to worry about if i dont have one?
    I have used the block arch without one before. Granted it was there when starting but the wind knocked it off during the boil. You'll be just fine without, prepare to get smoked out when loading wood/ just standing by it. The main thing is you'll get some wood ash in there so filter it twice for good measure. My first batch ever was almost black syrup buy had a real nice smoky flavor
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

I have never had a pipe on my block arch, and am curious if that is why my syrup is usually dark.and smokey? Now , I should add, everyone who has had the syrup comments on the smokey flavor. I really kept it simple after watching several youtube vids, including one , where a guy had a huge cauldron , (looked like a witch used it before), and a fire under it, and nothing more . I create a rectangular firebox, 4 ft 6x by the width of the pans , about 19 in. fill with wood start a fire , set in the pans, how would a smoke stack help me? So I guess it would suffice to say, I don't know what the function of it is for , thanks, also no back wall for " arch' or anything like that. ad I said, kind of just a rectangular brick box to hold the wood in, and the pans on.

You should get a better draw/draft with a stack. That should help get the fire hotter and boil faster.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

A door and back wall will help keep the heat inside the arch to the bottom of your pan. The stack will help with the draft/air coming into the arch plus it will keep the majority of the smoke out of your face when boiling. It's really all about making your arch more efficient by how hot it gets inside to how well and fast your wood burns. Efficiency is possibly one of the most important things in my eyes. I'd rather spend less time at the evaporator and use less wood than more of both.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

Quote Originally Posted by michael marrs View Post
    I have never had a pipe on my block arch, and am curious if that is why my syrup is usually dark.and smokey? Now , I should add, everyone who has had the syrup comments on the smokey flavor. I really kept it simple after watching several youtube vids, including one , where a guy had a huge cauldron , (looked like a witch used it before), and a fire under it, and nothing more . I create a rectangular firebox, 4 ft 6x by the width of the pans , about 19 in. fill with wood start a fire , set in the pans, how would a smoke stack help me? So I guess it would suffice to say, I don't know what the function of it is for , thanks, also no back wall for " arch' or anything like that. ad I said, kind of just a rectangular brick box to hold the wood in, and the pans on.
    I had a similar setup last year and this year I made a much more air tight rig out of a heating oil tank. It is still pretty smokey though. I think with the pans recessed down into the fire, you get a lot more charring along the pan sides. My stuff still comes out with a lot of soot type stuff that needs to settle out. I put it in the fridge for about a week and let it settle to the bottom before doing my finish boil. Everyone loves the smokey taste though.
    Rick

7 taps in Suburban Pittsburgh
    6 sqft Homemade Evaporator from Heating Oil Tank

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9...PpyLCPlJ3GZxbA

This is an old post, but I really like the idea of making your own block with a built in stove pipe.BB15599B-AF5F-4EB2-B438-A14ED15D7BF1.jpg

I did follow “emo’s” tip and made a special block for the stove pipe. I really like it! I also added steel reinforce the, some pieces of metal grate I had trimmed off and some metal plate I had trimmed off as well.
    Last edited by Swingpure; 08-08-2021 at 05:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12