+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapping too early

Default Tapping too early

I have been tapping and making syrup for a few years as a hobby with friends. I recently moved from NY to Maine and now have approximately 100 acres with many Maple trees. This year I had a barrel stove evaporator made and have upped the number of tapping supplies in order to accommodate tapping a larger number of trees. I started tapping last weekend and I have not seen a drop of sap. I know that with the weather that we are having it may have been a little early to tap. Are these taps going to be OK? So far I have done approximately 20 trees that have 5/16 or 7/16 Spiles with the Sap Sak Holders. Should I hold off with the rest of the trees?
    Advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Your taps will be fine. Very little happening for me as well. I fnished tapping a week ago and have only collected around 15 gallons out of the 200+ that are tapped. I would go ahead and tap so you will be ready when it starts to flow. Last year I didn't start to get good runs untill the last week of March. Mother nature just doesn't seem to want to let go of her grip on winter just yet.
    2019 99 taps on buckets (95 red & 4 sugar)
    W.F. Mason 2x4 XL

Quote Originally Posted by Jal-Bear View Post
    Your taps will be fine. Very little happening for me as well. I fnished tapping a week ago and have only collected around 15 gallons out of the 200+ that are tapped. I would go ahead and tap so you will be ready when it starts to flow. Last year I didn't start to get good runs untill the last week of March. Mother nature just doesn't seem to want to let go of her grip on winter just yet.
    Thank you, I will tap the rest of the trees today and Friday.
    One other question for you if you don't mind,
    I have about 100 plastic taps and tubing. I plan on using some of this and will place it into either 5 gallon water jugs or 5 gallon buckets. How do I ensure that I have enough line from the tap to the bucket? In some places I have 3 feet of snow and don't want to cut the tubing too short. Can I place it all the way to the bottom of the bucket? Will sap still flow with a submerged line?

Make them long enough because at the end of the season the snow will be gone!
    Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

The sap will still flow through a submerged line. I cut all my drops a little longer this year because I ran into the same problem last year. As the snow melted my tubing wouldn't reach my buckets anymore. I cut all of mine just shy of 3'. Then each year you can cut the old tap off and still have enough left over to re-use the tubing a couple of times. Good Luck
    Pete Nightingale
    Lisbon, NH

3 Teenage sap haulers & Plenty of friends and family to restock the beer fridge
    2012 1 tap and a pot
    2013 10 taps, oil tank evap, 2 gallons of slightly too thin syrup
    2014 48 taps improved oil tank evap 3.5 gallons, ouch??
    2015 88 taps 78 5/16" and 10 3/16" nat vac 40"x 48" Homemade Arch 13.25 Gallons
    2016 100 taps 65 on 3/16 & 35 buckets 17 gallons + unknown amount of maple / Jack Daniels testers

Shovel! I dig down to the ground for every bucket. No need to worry about melting snow or chasing buckets after windy nights like last night.
    2020 - 320 Taps
    2x5 Raised Flue Lapierre Waterloo Small Evaporator
    WF Mason Finisher/Canner

that's exactly what I do also. Shovel right to the ground, sap stays cool & out of the wind. If I man really wanted some sap he would shovel the whole base of his tree out. The only trees that are running have about a 2'area around the base with no snow. But I can wait till it melts.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 03-18-2015 at 06:18 AM.

We did the same thing, we did the hard work of shoveling, but we won't have a lot of the alternative problems later. We have approx. 200 taps out so far and have collected about 50 gallons. We are just keeping it cold and hoping for the weather to get better. Shoveling and Ibuprofen - a nice combination. Good luck, hope you have a great season.
    Stephen

I would think that if your drop line were below the sap level in the bucket then it would be more likely to freeze and block the next morning's flow. If you don't dig down, then maybe curve you tube or run it around the tree once...
    Jamie Jones
    2017 - 120 taps, 68G syrup - automated pumping from collection to head tank
    2016 - 118 taps (about half on 3/16"), 60G syrup
    2015 - 115 taps, 58G syrup - new wireless blower switch and remote pump switch from tank to shack
    2014 - 120 taps, 53G syrup - hobby vac
    2013 - 120 taps, 40G syrup - Sunrise Metal 2x6, 12x14 sugarhouse
    2012 - 44 taps, 6G syrup -gravity tube, 4 steam pans on block arch, plastic greenhouse shack - (I'm hooked!)

You can always cut your drops so they are long enough when the snow is gone and just set the pails farther away from the tree to start and move closer as the snow melts.

+ Reply to Thread