+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapped in Stimes State Forest and High Point HS

Default Tapped in Stimes State Forest and High Point HS

Put in 4 taps at school and 25 on the property we use up the street. Another 10 will go in tomorrow morning. That less than 1/2 of what we normally do, but I just don't have the time and energy this year.

Looking forward to running the kids at school through the process.

That's cool my Dad was a science teacher and would bring sap in and evaporate it in the class n teach the kids about it,very cool!
    2021 95 taps all on 3/16' natural gravity 2018 home built 4x40 RO 2017 1000 sap 15gal syrup 4 runs of 3/16 natural vac 1 of 5/16 2016 775gal of sap made 12gal syrup 2015 18.5 gal about 55 taps. Have the best wife! cub cadet volunteer 4x4 sap hauler

That's how I got started tapping this year. I am a high school science teacher and one of my classes is a horticulture class. While we were discussing maple trees, I started to talk about how maple syrup was made (although I didn't know much, just the fact that sap is boiled down). One of my students asked if any maple could be used. I didn't think so, but when I looked it up, of course I found out that you could. And being that there are many large (30" +) red maples around the school, I dove right in. I must have missed the flow down here in southern Cape May County though. Several weeks ago I gathered about 10 gallons from 24 taps. Made about a quart of awesome syrup but haven't seen a drop since. I will be on it next year though and hope to do a boil at school. We'll see if they let me do that on school grounds during the day. I have managed to get them to let me keep 20 chickens here, start aquaculture tanks and raise tilapia, and keep several hives of bees on the grounds. I'm addicted now.

That's great kids are missing a lot these days!
    2021 95 taps all on 3/16' natural gravity 2018 home built 4x40 RO 2017 1000 sap 15gal syrup 4 runs of 3/16 natural vac 1 of 5/16 2016 775gal of sap made 12gal syrup 2015 18.5 gal about 55 taps. Have the best wife! cub cadet volunteer 4x4 sap hauler

Luscroft farm isnt far from high point I volunteer there at times they have 300 trees tapped with a nice suger house would be a great place for a field trip

Quote Originally Posted by caoutdoors View Post
    Luscroft farm isnt far from high point I volunteer there at times they have 300 trees tapped with a nice suger house would be a great place for a field trip
    I'll be camping there in six weeks with the Scouts. Luscroft is a great place.

Sorry about the goofy thread title. It's supposed to say stokes state forest.

Are you guys an FFA chapter? Sounds like you would be a great fit.

I don't know about conditions down there, but the sap is just starting to think about flowing here. Hardly anything in the past three days in my buckets. Today should be good, then I think it'll bust wide open after the storm.

Its run by the state not sure but open house is this weekend

Frank from Luscroft got me started in this "hobby/addiction". Brought my sap there to be boiled for a couple of years before out of the blue, I came upon a sweet deal on a complete new evaporator setup from the Swartswood area.
    Dave C.
    2011 - 130 Taps
    2017 - 300 Taps (all gravity)
    2x8 Leader Revolution Evaporator
    12x18 Sugarhouse
    2021 - 350 taps
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Leader Clear Filter press
    2023 - 390 Taps

+ Reply to Thread