+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: 3/16" with minimal slope

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bow NH
    Posts
    29

    Default 3/16" with minimal slope

    Just wondering on how the new tubing is working with only a 1-2% slope? My slope is man made, start high and end low, at best I have about 2% slope and am wondering if the new 3/16th would work.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT
    Posts
    5,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewsofBow View Post
    Just wondering on how the new tubing is working with only a 1-2% slope? My slope is man made, start high and end low, at best I have about 2% slope and am wondering if the new 3/16th would work.
    Probably not a good idea. The only study I know of looking at 3/16" tubing on flat land (done in Canada) showed that there was a build up of backpressure and reduced sap yield.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Monroe county
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Probably not a good idea. The only study I know of looking at 3/16" tubing on flat land (done in Canada) showed that there was a build up of backpressure and reduced sap yield.
    What about using 3/16 tubing for drop lines into buckets?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT
    Posts
    5,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin View Post
    What about using 3/16 tubing for drop lines into buckets?
    Shouldn't be any problem doing that.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Monroe county
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Shouldn't be any problem doing that.
    I know it shouldn't be a problem but is there a way to get some vacuum out of it?? Tap higher in the tree or something? My sugar bush is too spread out with almost all reds to put a tubing system in.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT
    Posts
    5,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin View Post
    I know it shouldn't be a problem but is there a way to get some vacuum out of it?? Tap higher in the tree or something? My sugar bush is too spread out with almost all reds to put a tubing system in.
    For every ft of head (height), you'll (theoretically) gain 0.88" Hg of vacuum, however in this case it is somewhat of a false-gain, since you'll be losing that same amount of head pressure that exists lower in the tree by tapping higher up. Thus no, there isn't any real advantage to using 3/16" over 5/16" tubing in this way. As always, you just can't break the laws of physics.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Monroe county
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    For every ft of head (height), you'll (theoretically) gain 0.88" Hg of vacuum, however in this case it is somewhat of a false-gain, since you'll be losing that same amount of head pressure that exists lower in the tree by tapping higher up. Thus no, there isn't any real advantage to using 3/16" over 5/16" tubing in this way. As always, you just can't break the laws of physics.
    Well it would be nice to bend them once in a while.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake County Ohio
    Posts
    1,338

    Default

    Does tapping lower on the tree measurably increase pressure at the tap?
    John Allin

    14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    vermont
    Posts
    225

    Default

    We did 3 runs of 3/16 this year. We put gauges on each of them. One has 7 taps on it and the drop from the last tap to the tank is only about 5 feet. But we are getting 13 inches of vacuum. And the one with the most drop has about 15 ft and we are getting 22 inches. Explain that!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    DeKalb, NY
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Paul, where are you getting 13 inches of vacuum? At the last tap before the tank, or somewhere above that on the line?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts