+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone experiencing poor sap flow?

Slow here too but I'm kind of grateful since I still have things to shovel out here and there around the property!

Ive got another 50 taps buried int he snow and enough trees to hang most of them. If a little more snow melts I may have way more taps hung than I know what to do with, or have capacity to boil. I should probably start cutting some wood.

sam

I was just out at some of my lines and they were going a mile a minute. Looks like this may be the beginning?

sap from woods trees a couple days ago was about 2%, last season same area was almost 3%

Yard trees are sweet at 3%

Tapped 30 holes on some big sugars in neighbor's yard, very sweet and running veryhard.
    Lines were cranking yesterday... THIS IS IT

assuming that trees ran into the evening and will stall sometime today. Going to check buckets in a bit and collect today in the rain.

We're starting slow here in central NH as well. A few trees are flowing well, while a similar sized tree 20 feet away might not be running at all. Monday and Friday of this week show promising forecasts, but we're defiantly having a slow, late start here too. Good luck.
    Wood-fired, home-made evaporator
    Glenlivet-fired operator

We finally had a good run earlier this week and collected a bit over 1000 gallons of sap. Unfortunately things are frozen up again, but its looking like this weekend and all of next week should be perfect weather for another run. Now we just have to hope that the season doesn't come to an end too abruptly!

Although you are probably aware, worth pointing out that Natick Community Organic Farm also makes syrup. They're evidently not on this forum, though. Maybe there's an opportunity for you there for some sort of resource-sharing (?)

yep had one really strong run so far here! collected 300-400 gallons of syrup so far. Sweetened the evap. drawn off four gallons syrup so far.
    Also hoping we don't jump right to summer after this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123