+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: taps are in!

Hybrid View

that tubing taste goes away before it gets bottled. I did the same thing you did when I first stated tubing and it wasn't till later, someone told me not to worry about it. I wasted lot of sap. I try to do things as pure as I can so it was hard to boil the sap that tasted like tubes. you can do a search on this site and see that most deal with the same situation when adding new tube. this week looks good for us here.
    Quote Originally Posted by RIFoster View Post
    Got 2 gallon from 14 taps, dumped it all out because it tastes like tubing.

Still getting basically nothing, but what I do tastes like crap. Where does that taste "go" when boiling? Creeps me out tasting like chemicals.

I cant tell you where the taste goes...but it goes. even the veterans here may not have a scientific answer for you. in order to believe, you may have to take a bit of the off taste sap and cook it. I was a non believer also when I first put up the tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by RIFoster View Post
    Still getting basically nothing, but what I do tastes like crap. Where does that taste "go" when boiling? Creeps me out tasting like chemicals.

the past few days have given very little in sap. by the time it gets moving, the sun is on the way down so ive had only a few runs and on the short side. got about 40 gallons today though. the sun poked out for a few but never really stayed.

All my buckets were full of sap, then got washed out with rain. Bust year here. Got 2 pints of maple-less sugar syrup. I'll probably have some equipment for sale shortly.
    Last edited by RIFoster; 04-03-2015 at 07:41 PM.

I have some sap now from Thursday and Friday. its got a little cloud to it as it usually does this time of year but tastes great. if you want some or all, let me know. maybe 100 gallons. I will have more coming and a neighbor is giving me his sap for what is left of the season. I don't have enough wood to boil it all and it will get dumped.

looks like just the 2 of us on here this year.

today, I boiled down some sap that was a little cloudy but tasted fine. will end up with few gallons of finished syrup from that and there's another 100 gallons in the woods. looks like I am cooking tomorrow as well. filtering is becoming a chore with the not perfect sap but its still sweet.

I'm using propane on mine, burning a lot. I have no way to handle/process 100gal at a time, otherwise I'd be happy to take it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12