+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Maplesaint

You "open" for maple weekend? The forum listed all the producers who are members as open. Not sure if that will send people your way or not.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Cool Open?

Open yes, for people to come prolly not. My shack is way to small. I did not tell anyone that I was open. I just become a member to be involved. Maybe next year I can be apart of maple weekend but not this year. I will be boiling this weekend because I am am buried with sap for a halfpint. Lol. It's fun either way. Hope to see some of you guys this weekend if I can sneek out.
    540 taps. New 2x6 CDL oil fired deluxe. 7” wesfab filter press with electric pump. Micro 2 RO and a 16 by 32 CDL bottling unit. Can’t wait!!!!!!
    20x24 shack

Cool How they judge at the fairs

I was wondering what they look at and what they judge at the fairs for syrup. Thanks
    540 taps. New 2x6 CDL oil fired deluxe. 7” wesfab filter press with electric pump. Micro 2 RO and a 16 by 32 CDL bottling unit. Can’t wait!!!!!!
    20x24 shack

I would guess color, clarity, and taste?? Not sure tho.

On the other hand I finally broke 10 gallons of finished syrup with my last boil!! Most I've ever made. Last batch still had low sugar but finally made some amber instead of dark. Also made candy for the first time which came out great. I have enough wood for one more boil and that's it for me. Then start building a new sugarhouse!
    Started in 2013 with 15 taps on buckets and a turkey frier.
    Now 2020, 250 taps, 3/16's with vac. 10x14 sugarhouse. 2x6 Leader raised flue. Homemade 50 gal per hour RO.
    Munson's Maple’s

Quote Originally Posted by MapleSaint View Post
    I was wondering what they look at and what they judge at the fairs for syrup. Thanks
    They go by color, clarity, flavor and density. They also look at your jar and deduct points for dirt and finger prints.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Cool Thanks

Thanks guys on the info. I had a good batch my first boil but didn't have the honey jars to bottle it. I tried reheating it and putting it into the honey jars that I got and I'm am not happy with it. You think it has to be from the first run? Or does darker syrups have a chance. I bottled almost three gal this mornings NH and I just got the halfpint up to a boil. I have almost 100 gal of sap to boil before the end of the weekend. Hope everyone has a good maple weekend and have a lot of visitors. Maybe next year I can join the festivities if my new shack gets built.
    20x24 shack

Cool Pulling buckets

I have pulled all of my buckets and I had around 80 gal of sap. It's a sad sad day. I have enough wood for another 6 hour boil on Saturday and I am throwing in the towel. I made enough syrup for this year. So I guess next week will be clean up.
    20x24 shack

Cool Now we are cooking with gas(diesel)

Finally all the storms are over for now and I get to boil. I have upgraded my halfpint to oil fired and she is screaming. My family and I have built a homemade RO and we are squeezing almost 6%. The steam is cranking today because it is so cold out. I can’t beleive how good it is doing with oil. Still fine Tunning it. I will let people know how I do at the end of the weekend. Weather it is faster on wood or oil.
    20x24 shack

Cool 350gal

We went through 350 gal of sap in 14 hours with our halfpint and a homemade RO. It’s a halfpint on steroids. Hope everyone is having a good year and making some good syrup.
    20x24 shack

Cool Is it done?

Is it all done or are we going to get a little more?
    20x24 shack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast