+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Maplesaint

It's not over yet. It looks like it is going to cool down again after a couple of warm days and nights. We should be able to keep going until maple weekend.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Cool Hand press

I used my hand pump filter press yesterday. Oh man!! Filtering never has been so easy. Crystal clear and simple. Clean up is another story. Two gals of clear gold. Now I can bottle in glass. I am "pumped". Been boiling all day today and made a little more syrup. Need a bigger shack, it's hot in here!!
    540 taps. New 2x6 CDL oil fired deluxe. 7” wesfab filter press with electric pump. Micro 2 RO and a 16 by 32 CDL bottling unit. Can’t wait!!!!!!
    20x24 shack

Wow, you got a press! How hard is the clean-up? If I don't have water in the shack, is that an issue? Did you use diatomaceous earth? I like being able to recycle the sweet back into my pans by rinsing used filters in the sap pan -- do you think you lose much syrup in the process with a press?
    Jamie Jones
    2017 - 120 taps, 68G syrup - automated pumping from collection to head tank
    2016 - 118 taps (about half on 3/16"), 60G syrup
    2015 - 115 taps, 58G syrup - new wireless blower switch and remote pump switch from tank to shack
    2014 - 120 taps, 53G syrup - hobby vac
    2013 - 120 taps, 40G syrup - Sunrise Metal 2x6, 12x14 sugarhouse
    2012 - 44 taps, 6G syrup -gravity tube, 4 steam pans on block arch, plastic greenhouse shack - (I'm hooked!)

Cool It's well worth it

It would be a difficult to clean with out water. It's small as a shoe box. I just do it in kitchen. If you have a steam hood to get warm water I don't think it would be to bad. It would be better if I had bigger batches. But I only make two gal at a time. Leader half pint takes a while. Yes I did use DE and it worked amazing. I filter all the syrup and then I run warm sap through it into a seperate pot and pour back in evaporator. I don't think I lost a lot. Nothing in press just some around outside of plates and that's it. 1/4 of a cup, maybe.
    540 taps. New 2x6 CDL oil fired deluxe. 7” wesfab filter press with electric pump. Micro 2 RO and a 16 by 32 CDL bottling unit. Can’t wait!!!!!!
    20x24 shack

Cool Little cloudy

My sap is a little cloudy and some of it has a tint of yellow. Not to bad. How long do u think it will last. On call for work and can't really boil till Friday. Should I take a day off and boil or do you think it would last. I'm thinking not but if anyone has better news for me let me know. Thanks
    20x24 shack

Well if all goes right you can drop it off here. I'm staying positive maybe a light dip below 32 tonight and looks like a good freeze tomorrow night.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Looks like you will have to take a day off if Dill can't take it. If it's already cloudy it isn't going to keep until Friday.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Cool No sap

Putting out there. Looking for 100 gal of sap for maple weekend. If anyone can help me out it would be great. Gotta a little party and I would like to be boiling. Willing to pay money, around Deerfield area. I can come pick it up. I do not have pump but I have barrels. Thanks
    20x24 shack

Dilute a gallon of syrup in water and boil away!
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Cool Worked to hard

Parr that is a good idea but I have to boil for 10 hours to get my gold and then filter then clean up. It's to much work to do it all again. Rather start fresh and make more. Thanks for the info.
    20x24 shack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast