+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Wisconsin

Started to tap yesterday,they were running pretty good.Hopefully be done with tapping tomorrow.Found some more holes in the lines that were checked two weeks ago and were fine.So I guess the animals have been busy too.Just about ever track I made in the woods the deer also have been walking in my steps.If they would just do that during hunting season.

Sap Hauler
    -1996 Ford F250
    -2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    2016 Year:About 925 Taps on 3/16
    2015 Year:About 775 Taps
    2014 Year:About 270 Taps
    2013 Year:About 265 Taps
    2012 Year:About 200 Taps
    2011 Year:About 200 Taps
    2010 Year:About 65 Taps

Hey motowbronw where about are you located?

I tapped this afternoon with some help from my daughter . We put in 19 taps and none of them ran but I wasn't expecting them to with the temp at about 25 degrees. But we'll be ready for tomorrow when it hits 40+, should run great. Needed to get them in today, tomorrow might be my last day to ice fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris h View Post
    Hey motowbronw where about are you located?
    Hey Chris, just saw this. I'm five miles East of River Falls.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Collected 70+ gallons yesterday. The 5 gallon buckets were either half full or running over, very good day for me. I'll be boiling this weekend!

Boiled down my 80+ gallons of sap on Saturday (March 11) into 2.5 gallons of fantastic syrup. I'm guessing I have another 20 gallons still in the woods frozen in my buckets. Been in there a week but if we get a thaw later in the week I'll boil that little bit also. It should be ok with it being so cold, right?

It should be just fine. Hard for sap to go bad when it's frozen into a block.
    -Ryan

Pulled my taps and buckets last Thursday (March 16) and had a lot of ice chucks perfectly shaped like 5 gallon buckets or 2 1/2 gallon buckets. So on Saturday (March 18) I made another gallon of syrup. That puts my total at just over 3 1/2 gallons. I know the sap is still running and I could make some more syrup but that's ok. For me 3 1/2 gallons is great. I added a blower to my homemade evaporator from a cloths dryer that worked excellent, I'm now boiling down about 5 gallons an hour. I'll post a picture of it on the Homemade Maple Equipment thread.

Looks like the season has come to an end according to the weatherman. Glad I caught those early runs in February or it would have been an extremely short season this year.
    2014 10 Taps for fun
    2015 20 Taps for even more fun!
    2016 20 Taps
    2017 40 Taps to double my fun again!
    2018 40 Taps

Quote Originally Posted by mainstreet View Post
    Looks like the season has come to an end according to the weatherman. Glad I caught those early runs in February or it would have been an extremely short season this year.
    Those guys are full of cr@p. By the calendar, the season still has quite a bit of time remaining. I suppose it's possible that we don't get any more freezes, and the trees bud out, but I wouldn't put money on it. We might get a warm intermission for a week or even ten days, but we often make lots of syrup in the first two weeks of April.

The last couple weeks have been very good to us. We have made about much syrup as we did last year, but with the addition of vacuum this year I'm hoping make another 75-100 gallons.
    -Ryan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast