+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Wisconsin

Didn't get anything between last Sunday afternoon and yesterday afternoon. Started dripping for a few hours Saturday, maybe got a between a pint and a quart of sap per tap. Things really broke loose around noon Sunday. It's still running now at 3:00 am Monday (I'm up with the new baby).

Finally fired up the cooker yesterday afternoon, which was nice. After collecting Sunday afternoon, I've probably got 600 gallons of sap on hand, so at least I'll get to do a little cooking in the next few days. I opted not to cook anything before yesterday in part to try to get some ice in my tanks. I figure with this warm spell and extra cold we can hang onto the better. It's supposed to be much too warm this week, but what can you do? Hopefully we still get something out of the next several days.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Well I cooked a decent amount of syrup between the 6th and the 13th. Probably have made about 40 gallons so far, with enough in the rig to break 50. I'm really hoping for another few days of sap starting Friday. They're giving us some decent overnight lows later this week including 25 degrees on Friday night.

It would sure be nice to cook some more. If we are done now, it would be the second worst year on record for us. At least we've done better than 2012, but there's still lots of room for improvement. If there's one thing I've taken away from this season, it's that I'm gonna install a bunch of 3/16" tubing for next year. Seeing the numbers some other folks are coming up with on days when we're twiddling our thumbs makes it seem like a no-brainer. One one hand it's tough to go spend money on new equipment after a poor year, but if it means we actually get some sap during marginal weather in the next few years, then it will be worth it. Plus, a few less buckets to empty would be just fine with me!
    -Ryan

If you have descent slope go for it.Yesterday on our 900 taps we collected 997 gallons.3/16 line is crazy.

Sap Hauler
    -1996 Ford F250
    -2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    2016 Year:About 925 Taps on 3/16
    2015 Year:About 775 Taps
    2014 Year:About 270 Taps
    2013 Year:About 265 Taps
    2012 Year:About 200 Taps
    2011 Year:About 200 Taps
    2010 Year:About 65 Taps

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    If you have descent slope go for it.Yesterday on our 900 taps we collected 997 gallons.3/16 line is crazy.
    I'm not positive of the total elevation drop, but the app on my phone puts it at around 40-45 feet. Some trees in the middle of the run obviously won't get the full effect, but we haven't had any sap since Saturday whereas you've been pulling sap every day. I think it's worth a shot.
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    I'm not positive of the total elevation drop, but the app on my phone puts it at around 40-45 feet. Some trees in the middle of the run obviously won't get the full effect, but we haven't had any sap since Saturday whereas you've been pulling sap every day. I think it's worth a shot.
    No expert on it but it is amazing what it has done for our woods.Last year after no freezing our runs dropped right off to a trickle.Yesterday was a pleasant surprise.If you want we could look at your woods or vice-versa.

Sap Hauler
    -1996 Ford F250
    -2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    2016 Year:About 925 Taps on 3/16
    2015 Year:About 775 Taps
    2014 Year:About 270 Taps
    2013 Year:About 265 Taps
    2012 Year:About 200 Taps
    2011 Year:About 200 Taps
    2010 Year:About 65 Taps

Well, I went to Pittman's yesterday morning and bought all the 3/16 tubing they had. Unfortunately that was only 800', so I'll only get to make one full length run and a short one without the full drop. I have only mild slope, so it needs to run a long way to get a decent elevation change.

I got it strung up yesterday and the drops installed and holes drilled this morning. I put 16 taps on the long line I installed. The tap holes were dry when I drilled them, but just for fun I started the vacuum by pouring about 12oz of water into the line from the top tap. About 5 minutes later, every tap was running! Nothing else in our woods is running today. We'll still have to see how it does over then next week and a half, but I'm thinking that I'm gonna switch to 3/16 everywhere possible. Some taps may only have a few inches of vacuum, but I think I can get 18hg or more on a lot of the woods.

Cody, I'd love to check out your woods or vice-versa. Send me a text if you get a chance 715-222-3237. If I came over there, is there any chance I could come when you're gonna drop off sap at your neighbors? It's always fun to see someone else's rig in action.
    -Ryan

Hi Ryan....so you went for the 3/16" already? Its amazing what vacuum does whether natural or pumped. I came home from work just now and I won't be getting much sleep, tanks will be running over by noon and the sap really cleared up ! Last year I tapped a few that I missed and it had not froze for a few, it was a warm balmy night, nothing at all for moisture when drilled. as soon as I plugged them in, the sap just exploded literally within 5 seconds after putting full vacuum on.

Someone told my wife yesterday that Pittman was having alot of 3/16" plugging up....with what I don't know and wondering if you learned anything?
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Hi Ryan....so you went for the 3/16" already? Its amazing what vacuum does whether natural or pumped. I came home from work just now and I won't be getting much sleep, tanks will be running over by noon and the sap really cleared up ! Last year I tapped a few that I missed and it had not froze for a few, it was a warm balmy night, nothing at all for moisture when drilled. as soon as I plugged them in, the sap just exploded literally within 5 seconds after putting full vacuum on.

Someone told my wife yesterday that Pittman was having alot of 3/16" plugging up....with what I don't know and wondering if you learned anything?
    Hey Mark, it was nice meeting you the other day.

Yeah, I wanted to see this 3/16 in action without a vacuum pump, so I figured I'd better get on it.

What's Greg's wife's name? I should know, but I forget. Anyway, I asked if she knew anyone running 3/16. She said they had sold some, but hadn't heard anything back about it. I guess I'd think that means that they aren't running any. I figure if they had some installed she would have mentioned something.

I'm glad I did get even one run installed. Without really seeing it, I don't know if I could've pulled the trigger to do the whole woods. Now it seems like it would be stupid to leave them on buckets for next year.

Another benefit I'm seeing is that it'll be easier to find a place to put a taphole. My dad's been tapping here since about '75. Some of these trees don't have a lot of space without old holes. With this tubing I can put a tap higher than all the old stuff.

Glad you're getting sap Mark! If I remember, you've got some time off work starting today. Seems like the timing might work out perfectly. Have fun! Call me if you need a hand keeping up.
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    Hey Mark, it was nice meeting you the other day.

Yeah, I wanted to see this 3/16 in action without a vacuum pump, so I figured I'd better get on it.

What's Greg's wife's name? I should know, but I forget. Anyway, I asked if she knew anyone running 3/16. She said they had sold some, but hadn't heard anything back about it. I guess I'd think that means that they aren't running any. I figure if they had some installed she would have mentioned something.

I'm glad I did get even one run installed. Without really seeing it, I don't know if I could've pulled the trigger to do the whole woods. Now it seems like it would be stupid to leave them on buckets for next year.

Another benefit I'm seeing is that it'll be easier to find a place to put a taphole. My dad's been tapping here since about '75. Some of these trees don't have a lot of space without old holes. With this tubing I can put a tap higher than all the old stuff.

Glad you're getting sap Mark! If I remember, you've got some time off work starting today. Seems like the timing might work out perfectly. Have fun! Call me if you need a hand keeping up.
    I believe Greg's wife name is Debbie. My wife heard that at church the other night about the tubing "plugging" up and even stories get passed at church. Yes, I don't have a day of work til April 4th so that will be nice. I am still hoping to get a run or two of 3/16 up without a pump. My sap bringing buddy said why don't I look at the 3/16" and what its doing before you turn the pump on some day......made me think a minute. The bad thing is the sugar. Down to 1.7% day before last and expect today will be even lower, but the clarity is much better. Going to be gathering lots this afternoon AND I have an inspector coming Wednesday. Good luck to you.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I am a small sample size but last year (2015) I ran 3 lines of 3/16th tubing with a 100 taps (Buffalo County). I put three vacuum gauges on top of the lines (steep slope) and was able to achieve 28.5 vacuum all season and had a great time with it. I also need to mention that my gauges didn't read that high right away because I failed to put tape/sealant on the treads of the gauge. This year I noticed a couple lines were sagging and the gauges didn't register vac even though there was some sap coming out the bottom. I walked the lines and noticed where the sap wasn't coming thru the T. On two spots, I had wood chips plugging the T - you could see some slime build up on the up hill side of the T. Easy to clean out with a nail. No issues last year and only two issues this year. I used CDL tubing - I did mention my experience to Pittman's a few day's ago and they might have been referring to me. They mentioned that the new Leader 3/16 lines had a different T design, I didn't really follow what they meant but maybe the Leader folks have something figured out there that I am unaware of. Long story short, I think the 3/16th line is great, you really still should walk the lines after the first good flow to make sure everything is moving. Based on my experience, you might not have any issues the first year. I will continue to utilize 3/16 line on steep slope but also have to realize that nothing is ever trouble free. I know my vacuum on 5/16 isn't either or is my bags hanging on the tree.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast