+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Western Wisconsin

3/28, 3/29, and 3/30 were all good days here. Cooked yesterday afternoon for what may be the last time for a week or more. The forecast seems to be returning to February instead of proceeding to April. Several nights in the ten day forecast with lows in the single digits. Not exactly what we're looking for. I really hope it doesn't just head straight into 45 degree nights once this cold spell moves through. I'm at about 90 gallons finished so far though, so I'm very happy. Even if I was done today, I could call the season a marginal success. I'll keep my fingers crossed for another couple weeks after things thaw out. Until then, I guess I'm leaving a space heater in my arch.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I boiled another 40 gallons of sap on Saturday (3/31) and had just over 1 gallon of dark syrup. Anybody else have dark syrup? It seems a few years ago I had really dark syrup but thought it had more to do the temperature being so warm and later in the season. That sure isn't the case this year. Wondering if anyone knows the reason for nice looking amber syrup one year and the next year coffee dark syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I boiled another 40 gallons of sap on Saturday (3/31) and had just over 1 gallon of dark syrup. Anybody else have dark syrup? It seems a few years ago I had really dark syrup but thought it had more to do the temperature being so warm and later in the season. That sure isn't the case this year. Wondering if anyone knows the reason for nice looking amber syrup one year and the next year coffee dark syrup.
    Well you pretty much said it, we have not had much warmth this spring. I have made no dark syrup yet thanks to the cool weather and snow on the ground. With that being said, last Friday when I picked up my south woods that has been outproducing everything this year, the sap was starting to get a little murky. The sap temp at the tank was 44 degrees and every time before that it was below 40 and once down to 36. 6-8 degrees difference in sap temp will mean all the difference in what the grade will be. This last boil was a strong medium which was the 2nd darkest out of 6 boils. I'm at a tad better than 1/3 gallon per tap, considering that my north woods hasn't done much yet, I'm pretty fortunate compared to others. The people an hour north of here have only boiled once or twice and that is right from Steve Anderson last Friday and of course we all know nothing has ran since.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

That's what I'm afraid of also Mark. I'm pretty much right where your are as far as syrup per tap too, and feeling pretty lucky considering the circumstances.

I know I made good syrup pretty much right to the end in 2013. I think the last batch I cooked was not table grade, but that wasn't until the 28th of April. That was the latest we'd ever cooked syrup though, and it blew away the previous record by 11 days.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that we get at least a few more good days of sap weather after we thaw out again, but even if we don't, it won't be the worst year on record.
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of also Mark. I'm pretty much right where your are as far as syrup per tap too, and feeling pretty lucky considering the circumstances.

I know I made good syrup pretty much right to the end in 2013. I think the last batch I cooked was not table grade, but that wasn't until the 28th of April. That was the latest we'd ever cooked syrup though, and it blew away the previous record by 11 days.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that we get at least a few more good days of sap weather after we thaw out again, but even if we don't, it won't be the worst year on record.
    I made alot of very light syrup that year, but also had alot of bags that year which helps to make light syrup. I remember it very well, 16th of April marked on the kegs and it was metabolic, not flat out buddy. Very disappointed! It seems once it gets past the 10th of April, things can change real fast as far as the tree starting to change, frost in the ground or not.I think its all has to do with the daylight hours and things we just don't understand. One prominent syrup maker in the area that has since passed away gathered on 4-23 one year (don't know the year, but it was written on the wall)and that was the end, and it was good syrup, he never liked to make dark syrup. So, its possible to go longer with table grade, every year is different. One thing we have not had this year is any warmth at all, one 50 degree day has been it, so that is to our benefit. In 2014, I gathered on the 2nd of May for the last time from this north side I have been talking about, but of course it was commercial and that is when it brought a decent price.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Cancel your Memorial Day plans fellas, we are just going to be getting wrapped up about then! This global warming is kiling us this year

Any body see the extended forecast. Might get spring after all. Lots of snow left out in woods.

Sap Hauler
    -1996 Ford F250
    -2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660
    2016 Year:About 925 Taps on 3/16
    2015 Year:About 775 Taps
    2014 Year:About 270 Taps
    2013 Year:About 265 Taps
    2012 Year:About 200 Taps
    2011 Year:About 200 Taps
    2010 Year:About 65 Taps

I haven't even been looking. I'm just hoping for the best, but I'm very happy to hear you say that! I've been tapped for a month now, but obviously it's been real cold and I'm using check valve spouts this year, so hopefully I'll get sap if the weather works out in our favor.
    -Ryan

Boiled down another 40+ gallons of frozen sap on Saturday, (4/7). I pulled my taps and buckets on Friday. Had to bring the buckets into the house overnight to thaw out a little bit. My evaporation rate slowed down a little by putting those frozen chunks in but after 8 hours I got over one gallon of dark syrup. Another successful year for me!

Well, it's not like the weatherman has a real great track record this time of year, but man the 10 day looks awesome! I'm not particularly excited about dealing with 5-8" of wintery mix on Saturday, but I'll take it if it means we can have some more sap along with it. Hopefully this weather starts working for the guys up north too.
    -Ryan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast