+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Western Wisconsin

Just got in from pounding 130 Leader 3/16 stubbies and checkvalves on harder Not happy!! But, the trees ran almost a gallon per tap on Wednesday, tank is about full. These are all mostly south slant. I checked the sugar 2 days ago and it was 2.5%. The sap back there now tastes sweeter, so maybe it has gone up?
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Just got in from pounding 130 Leader 3/16 stubbies and checkvalves on harder Not happy!! But, the trees ran almost a gallon per tap on Wednesday, tank is about full. These are all mostly south slant. I checked the sugar 2 days ago and it was 2.5%. The sap back there now tastes sweeter, so maybe it has gone up?
    I didn't measure mine yesterday but it tasted real sweet to me. I won't argue with that. Not sure if I got a gallon per tap yesterday or not, but it was running good, especially on the warm side of the woods.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Why did you have to pound stubbys and check valves in harder?

Quote Originally Posted by S.S.S View Post
    Why did you have to pound stubbys and check valves in harder?
    Popping off when/during hard freezes at night.....3/16" only.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.

It was a great day in the woods for me today. Sap ran better than it has yet this year. Still not a big run, but it started much earlier in the day, so it amounted to quite a bit more. Probably a gallon per tap. Got the cooker cleaned and fired up this afternoon. Went through about 800 gallons of sap in 4.5 hours. Pulled off about 9 gallons of syrup in the last hour. Everything went off without a hitch.
    Last edited by motowbrowne; 03-18-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    -Ryan

Glad to hear everything worked out well! My one south bush has really ran good, I could not believe yesterdays flow. Well over a gallon and 1/4 per tap just yesterday. Going out to haul in now. My other south woods is not as good but gaining, and the north side, well its the north side, very little yet. Starting to pile up at the shack, need to get cooker prepared today.
    Mark

Running well again today. I just got to the woods a minute ago after spending the morning with my daughter. I experienced a first for me when I got here: this is the first time I've showed up and found both of my mainlines at 17"+ of vacuum (shurflo 2088s). Every other time I've had squirrel chews to deal with. I've been on a bit of a rampage, and I've shot 23 of them in the last ten days. Perhaps they've finally gotten the message.
    -Ryan

I collected 30 gallons of sap on Sunday (3/18), hopefully more to come this week. I'd like to have at least 40 gallons of sap to boil this Saturday.

Best run of the year to date this afternoon. Didn't start until 12:30 or 1:00, but the side of the woods with 180 taps ran 200 gallons by sundown.
    -Ryan

I collected over 30 gallons of sap this afternoon, that gives me a total of 60. Looks like the boils on for Saturday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast