+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dry trees

Default dry trees

I tapped a few trees Saturday and they were dry, today i tapped the rest and there running like mad. but the few i did Saturday are not running at all, is this strange or normal

DO not worry when time they will flow. We tapped out last week and nothing yet a few started but froze up again once they start you will say holy Shi ---- mother nature will will take care of it. Some with the sun on them may start to let go , wind has a lot to do with it for us like today sun was in and out but wind was from the north and cold then it clouded up with cold wind.
    10x21 sugar house
    400 taps
    227 gravity pipeline
    Rest Buckets

I actually got on here to ask the same question. This is my first year tapping. I have a few trees that are doing absolutely nothing. Not a drop. I have some that are giving a cup a day. I have one that is giving me more than a gallon per day, but it is on a nice slope with great south east exposure with little blocking it from the sun. The daytime temps just broke above 35 in the last 4 or 5 days.
    I marked all my trees in the fall when the leaves were still on, so I know they are healthy. I'm just disappointed that I have so many poor producers. I am on a small scale this year. I had other trees I could have tapped, but didn't. I will give some of these wimps another few days before pulling the taps and moving them to other trees.

Patience Nick,trees will do fine. They just need to thaw a bit and you should have a consistant run. Mine have been on again off again for the last few days.
    Just because I wander, it don't mean I'm lost.

Same here... We have 2 acres of maples... Tapped 26 on Saturday and some weren't running at all until today but just tiny bits. In fact the ones that are doing the best are the north facing ones with no sun exposure... Not what we researched would happen. Since it's our first time we are a bit rattled but are keeping our fingers crossed..
    2 acres of sugar maples. Woodburning arch with small evaporator and propane burners with steamer pans Year 5.

2015 - 35 taps on 30 trees. 1556 L sap and 44L syrup!
    2016 - 42 taps on 40 trees. 2274 L sap and 64L syrup!
    2017 - 37 taps on 36 trees. 1573 L sap and 47L syrup!
    2018 - 33 taps on 32 trees. 2314 L sap and 53L syrup!
    2019 - 30 taps on 29 trees. 1640L sap and 51 L syrup!
    2020 - 31 taps on 30 trees. 760 L + stopped counting sap and 25 L syrup!

Mine are all barely flowing. If it's above freezing all night will they flow during the night?
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

Don't worry.....they will run. It's been so cold it will take a few days of warmer weather before things really pick up. I had a few run well today but most just dribbled a bit and that's about what I expected
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Give them time to thaw. Just finishing here and I'm new to this but I have learned trees will have there own pace. You need some good sunny days to thaw before you give up on a tree.
    about 200 taps on Sap sak with homemade holders
    2'x5' pan
    boiler arch from homemade setup with blower
    Homemade pallet sugar shack proud of it ;-)

Like us on FACEBOOK.com - FlyingNectarFarm

Same here. Took a day off to finish setting up a new main line and catch up on tapping and about 50% of my tress were running and the other were dry as a bone. No rhyme nor reason as to why, but i have learned in just my short time of doing things just is to wait and observe because mother nature is fickle.

Bill C.
    2016-2018, 50 taps on hobby vacuum, boiling outdoors on the Mason 2x3.
    49 taps 2015, mix of hobby vacuum and gravity, boiling outdoors on the Mason 2x3.
    42+4 taps 2014, still on a WF Mason 2x3 Hobby Evaporator
    43 taps 2013 on a WF Mason 2x3 Hobby Evaporator
    10 taps 2012

Follow along on our sugaring adventures at our website:
    http://littlecreekmaplefarm.com

+ Reply to Thread