+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cordless Drill

HanginAround Guest

The tapping bits are sharpened and shaped after they are manufactured. They are supposed to make a better cleaner hole, but also, the better the hole, the theory is there is less place for bacteria to grow.

We used 2 drills yesterday, and they both did quite a bit better. I got 50+ holes per battery with a Genuine tapping bit, and my neighbor got 75+ with an identical drill, but a regular 7/16 bit. It was considerabbly warmer, so maybe that made a difference.

AS a general rule, I've had excellent experience with Sears cordless tools. Waay better than the Makita & DeWalt that I had before. Could be that tapping is a bigger draw than most other tasks.

Last year, I got 150 taps/battery with a 5/16 bit on my old Sears 18 volt. I think the smaller bit is the way to go for max battery life.
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

We use a Riobi 18 volt and got 70 -7/16 holes per battery pack using a new titanium bit.
    Maple consultant for 50 years

I use a B&D 18V Quantum Pro and I can get around 70 taps on 7/16 and 100 on 5/16. And the are $99 at wall mart, the first one lasted three years. and it also screwed down several decks, the metal and siding on my sugarhouse plus many other jobs. Not bad for the price.

We use a 21CC Tanaka and get 155 7/16 holes using a wood auger style bit on 2/3 qt of gas.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Glad your gas tapper is working so well for you, Fred! But keep in mind that, when your carb plugs up, or a diagraphram rips on a Sunday Morning, Just give us a call and me and the boys will run over with the cordless drills and our 9 batteries. They always start! Lol

Seriously, I reconsidered and looked into getting a Tanaka, but that price - Oh My! For that money, I got a LOT of cordless tools that I can use for many things, all year 'round, and NINE batteries. It's a pain changing them every 40-50 holes, but as long as the smaller boys can fetch and carry them for me, we'll stick with cordless.

I bought my Tanaka used for $75. Now I am in the position where I have to use it because I have it. I haven't had any trouble with it but feel that a good cordless drill and extra batteries would be simpler.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

If I could find a used Tanaka for $75, I'm be all over it like ugly on a pig! I really thought hard about it after last season, but since I wouldn't have a lot of use for it except for tapping, I decided it was too much money.

Instead, I got Sears 19.2 cordless tools. For about the same money as the Tanaka (new), I got 2-1/2" drills, a 3/8" drill, a 3/8 right angle drill, A recprocating saw, circular saw, sabre saw, impact driver (Handiest tool in the bunch!),2 flashlights, 9 batteries and 3 chargers. I just watched for sales, and waited for a good deal. (The combo prices were pretty decent)

Other than being a bit hard on batteries for tapping, everything is perfect, and I get a lot of use out of them year 'round.

The instructions did indicate it took several charge cycles before they were at maximum charge. It could be that some of those batteries were only charged a couple times, and they'll get a bit better once they're broke it. WE'll see, but so far I'm still happy with them.

You are right about the Tanaka only having one purpose. Whereas as just a cordless drill has one purpose. A friend of mine bought a used one from MKS for 75 bucks. I paid over 300 for mine (new).
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

I used a tanaka drill, it would drill a lot of holes, but you had to carry extra gas and it was bulky...I like the battery drills with a drill hoster from home depot and with 2 extra batteries for around $40 I can pretty much do all 800 taps.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234