+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: February Journal

Thumbs up February Journal

One month until sugaring season is here.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I think maybe a month and 10 days for me. We start around the 10 of March.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

I'm planning to start tapping the first weekend in March, unless there's unusual weather conditions, which is usual that time of year.
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

We usually try to start around the middle of Feb.Thats only two weeks!I better get busy,lots to do to get ready.
    Loudonville,Ohio
    500 taps
    We do it the old fashioned way
    Buckets,Gather with horses,and a wood fired
    3X12 King evaporater

The ground hog didn't see his shadow here today. It is time to start up the tapping machine to make sure it is going to run.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Russell,
    I live only 40 miles form the groundhog. One of these days I am going to pay him a visit. Bought my pick up in Punxatauney. The hole town is groundhog nuts.

Pete33Vt Guest

We are shooting for around the 16th of the month. Alot of stuff to do before then. But we will get it done. Doing as much as we can outside when the weather is warm. And on cold days were inside or running around for supplies.Hoping to get more comfortable weather, this running around is getting expensive. Its like grocery shopping when your hungry, everrthing looks good.

Had a pretty busy week working till 1-2am remodling a condo for a lady down to the beach. Now no new jobs till after sugaring.

If anyone was trying to send me a PM, I wasn't blocking you. I had about 10 times the allowable messages in my system and it was not allowing anymore to come through.

Dave Y- Nice pic, is that a blanket? I like the idea of a signature picture, but too small to see them. I haven't done much trapping in at least 10 years. Still got about 2 dump trucks full of traps ready and waiting. Beaver trapping is the best, unless you are up here and have 3 feet of ice to chisel through!!

Got pleanty to do to get the sugar house ready.

Royalmaple,
    Yea Its a blanket. I caught that one I think on newyears day this year I had my daugher w/ me and she took the pic I just got back from checking traps and it was 0 when I left. At the Strart of the season the weather was like spring and I murdered them. But it has slowed down now. I have about 15 more like the one in the pic. As far as the your truck load of traps go A trapper I Know from Maine says "a trap in the ground Will Catch fur not one in the back of your truck"
    Gone to build a dumping station to day so I better get busy

Yup, I won't catch anything with them piled up. Kinda like you will miss every deer you don't shoot at. That is my motto.

I think beaver trapping is my favorite, we use to stack them like cordwood.

Rats are fun too, I hear they are almost 10 bucks each!! Last few I sold were about 1.25 for some monsters, so I guess that shows how long ago I was getting them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast