+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaking Leader check valves...still

Spud, you have no leakers or you dont know yet?

Whereas some guys have problem with them breaking at least you know about it at time of tapping. Unless you inspect every tap you put in a tree before hand you dont notice the ones with ahole in he plastic til you turn vaccum on and trudge through the woods listening. Much different problem. I have a very small number of taps, I cant imagine trying to find defective spouts amongts tens of thousands of trees.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I put in 700 cv2's this year and had 5 of them break when tapping them in. I was hitting them square and not using too much force either. When the first 2 broke I was using a pair of linesman's pliers to tap them in. They all broke where the stem bells out to meet the head.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Maplewalnut View Post
    Spud, you have no leakers or you dont know yet?

Whereas some guys have problem with them breaking at least you know about it at time of tapping. Unless you inspect every tap you put in a tree before hand you dont notice the ones with ahole in he plastic til you turn vaccum on and trudge through the woods listening. Much different problem. I have a very small number of taps, I cant imagine trying to find defective spouts amongts tens of thousands of trees.
    I plan to turn pumps on Saturday and hope my CV2 spouts are ok. I have 6200 CV2 spouts in my woods this year so we should be able to find leaker (if any) and fix them by Tuesday's sap run. Last year I was one of the lucky ones and had no leakers. With some sugar maker's having pinhole problems on the CV2 spouts last year you would think all company's selling these things would make sure not to sell them again until the problem has been fixed. The first time they sold defected CV spouts it was a mistake but to do it a second year in a row means Attorney time.

Spud

I havent found any leakers yet in the area im trying these but gota ask how the heck do you get them outa the dropline at the end of season? Or just cut em off and lose a bit of dropline each season?
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

Just cut them off.

I use cup tees on my drops to plug them into for the off season and just cut them off when I tap.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12