+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: galvanized buckets and lead

2011: First year - 10 taps / various outdoor experiments... and the kitchen stove
    2012: 16 taps / turkey fryer, kitchen stove
    2013: 26 taps / turkey fryer, block arch evaporator... and the kitchen stove for finishing
    2014: 30 taps / god only knows this years cooking strategy... filtering kills me

Urban Sugaring: Cleveland, Ohio (Neighbors think I'm cooking meth.)

This may start a big fuss, but I suggest everyone look up and read an article in Mother Jones magazine, written by Mariah Blake, about BST plastic and all of the other plastics. It's a bit sobering, and has me looking at everything I produce and eat. I've decided to phase out my remaining plastic containers and switch to glass this season.

I saw this thread and was wondering if there were any updates?

Default pail coatings

I am trying to come up with a coating to coat the inside of the galvanized pails to form a permanent barrier between galvanizing and sap, Maybe epoxy such as (brew coat) or food contact approved powder coat. Plastic liners are not for me I have tried them. Any in put would appreciated Thanks

I purchased a bucket washer this week...further investing in my collection of galvanised buckets. I am not immune to the idea that there may be a lead concern with some older buckets, but until there is a reasonable plan to replace them, these buckets will remain as a part of the industry as a whole. If i get rid of these buckets, some other small producer will hang them next year somewhere else. Perhaps there should be a "cash for clunkers" program like there was to get polluting vehicles off the road.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Yea that was a great success wasn't it. If their going to use tax dollars to upgrade your operation then the next thing Peter Gregg will want his bulk storage tanks replaced at our expense. I say its your inability to sell to the public that should be the determining factor.

I don't have any problem selling every drop I make. The point is, if give up these buckets, they'll remain in use. Even the big maple supply catalogues are still selling used galvanised buckets. I throw away a few every year, but at this rate these buckets will still be hanging somewhere in 2050.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

It is unfortunate that the worst buckets for lead also "look" like the best buckets. Ternplate doesn't rust out, and the sap will leach away the thin oxidation layer that develops each year, so the insides of these high-lead buckets always tend to look nice and clean and in good shape. So people toss the galvanized buckets with just a little lead in them and keep the ternplate buckets that are loaded with lead. If you find a bucket that has the inside bottom painted, most likely it is ternplate on the bottom (slightly duller grey metal than the sides), and used since the early-1900s (when there was another "lead in maple syrup" problem). Painting was the solution back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    Even the big maple supply catalogues are still selling used galvanised buckets.
    I don't believe that is the case unless you're looking at a catalog from 25 yrs ago. You might find galvanized (lead-free galvanized at that) spouts in the catalogs, but you usually don't find galvanized buckets, and you definitely won't find used lead/galvanized buckets in the maple supply catalogs. You "might" find them out behind the store in the junk pile, but it sure isn't real common.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 04-25-2018 at 07:10 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Dad used to spray the inside of his galvanized buckets every few years with lacquer. I was like say what! . he said. it is a approved as a coating for cutting boards in kitchens and you chop up what you are going to eat on those.
    they did not rust and they stayed very dull on the inside.
    when they started to flake he would hit them with sand paper and squirt a couple more layers on.
    It probably was better than lead

Default Lead dead

I’m sort of new here compared to many on this site. I am trying to follow this bucket conversation, but am confused by lead and no lead, galvanized and now lacquer. I live in Michigan and am very aware of the health problems lead causes not just because of what has happened in Flint, but also the lead in paint has caused Michigan to have one of the highest problems in children from that. Mr. Greer, I want to be sure I hear you correctly in that you continue to use buckets that have lead in them, because if you get rid of them, someone will reclaim them and use them? You also say that you have no trouble selling all of your syrup? Do you tell those that you are selling it to that the syrup is contaminated with lead and if their children drink it they will have brain damage? Do you allow your own children and grandchildren to partake? Is Mr. Greer a real person or am I being trolled? Is this a serious discussion in 2018? Can people really do this, knowing the problem with lead? Would this be a public relations problem if a major news organization did a story about it? Like I said, I’m kind of new here and maybe I am totally missing something?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast