+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: galvanized buckets and lead

Thumbs up

I just got off the phone with a very nice person in customer service at Uline. She has a program to calulate what size liner that I need for the demisions that I gave her. She is sending 3 samples for me to try, 2 are flat and one is gusseted. She said that an 18W x 24 H has a circ of 36". I think they are coming out of Penn. so it should only be a day or 2.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

I got the liners today. The one I tried is the 18x18 2 mil and they fit my buckets fine. My buckets have the following dimensions:

11 inches in diameter top, 12.5 inches tall and 9 inch diameter bottom.

I am going to have pleanty left over since they are sold in cases of 1,000. If anyone is interested let me know. By the time I get them they will be roughly 10 cents each and that is all i am interested in getting back plus whatever the shipping is to you.

I'll take a hundred of them. PM me with details to ship or mail to 13421. Oneida, NY. I'll send a check right out.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thumbs up

The samples arrived today from Uline and I have decide to go with the 18 X 24, 2 mil liners. They will work better for my application. After I let I bby look them over we will decide and order. This has been a good topic for decussion and finding new ways.

Time to update this thread.

I got 100 liners from Fred, and they worked well. On a few buckets, a little sap would leak out, following a fold in the plastic (Only when the bucket hung funny on the tree) We didn't keep track of which buckets we used liners in, so ended up washing all of them anyway.

It sure was nice eliminating "leakers". THe first few gathers, we checked the bottom of the buckets. Any dampness or drip, it got a liner. We kept extra liners in the truck, and had to put in a few every few gathers.

The lids clamped the bags on tight, and dumping them was no problem. (We leave the lids on when dumping) No problems with the bags falling out. When we pulled taps, the liners where stuffed into a 5 gallon gathering bucket and put in the trash at home. No real problems at all.

I'm trying to eliminate buckets, but any metal ones I use in the future will have a liner in it.
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

I used only one of the liners in a leaky bucket last season. I duct taped the bag to the bucket where the spout went through and had no problems. I would be interested in 100 of them if anyone wants to buy a large quantity and sell some.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I used 400 last year and until someone says that I can can no longer use my galv buckets I will not use the bags again. We found that we had to be very careful to be sure there no creases in the bags or the sap would drip on the ground. We use them for about a week until we found out what was happening. Then we pulled them and disgarded. I have a few left and will keep them for leaky bucket liner. I know that I don't have a hundred Russ, but I will check.
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; 12-05-2007 at 04:39 AM.

Does anyone still have more of these bags than they need? If so, and you want to sell some, I'd be interested in getting 100 or so.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

I understand this is an old thread, but are the concerns of lead still a problem? We're new to sugaring and just picked up 24+ old buckets. Picked up a lead test kit from Home Depot to check a couple different styles of pails. Really like the "bag liner" concept. Has anyone tried an oversized rubber band (bungee with clamps) after the bag has been wrapped around the outside edges of the pail. Should work great, adds cost but would hold the liner in place.

I know its old thread but maybe someones already tried. Im looking to put liners in my 5 gallon pails. I get the pails free from work and i do a drop tube through the lid. I would to know if anyone has found a liner that fits nicely in 5 gallon buckets. Also i can pull rubber seal out of lid to wrap around the liner overlap
    Cody
    Rome WI
    2010, 3taps couple pints syrup
    2011, 10 taps= 29single pound jars, 22half pounders
    2012, bad year
    2013, 48 taps= about 15 gallons
    2014, 96 taps.. so far

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast