+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: galvanized buckets and lead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Y View Post
    I think if you put duct tape around the bucket and tape it on, you should be ok.
    I don't plan on useing duct tape either. I am just wondering how long it will be before the equipment dealers jump on this band wagon.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Default Pail liners

This company may have what you need. Flexible or semi-rigid FDA approved liners for pails and drums. Looks like the could make custom shapes, too.

http://www.cdf1.com/linerpro.htm#
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Talking

See what I started, Now bascoms will be selling them for 1.00 each. I'd rather share stuff like this person to person. Unless they are going to send me a "royal"ty check each month.

Like russ said, no more bucket washing or fixing leaky buckets. If you use a liner.

The tops I use are the slide on roof type ones, so they should catch the bag and hold it in place fine. The other thing is when you empty you can hold the bucket in two hands and hold the bag too, if you pour it out I don't see why it would be messy. Or just take the bag out and tilt like you are dumping a sap sak.

I'll buy a case too and sell the extras, I only need a hundred or so, or I'll buy a hundred off you fred.

Fred if you call and you can't order, let me know and I'll order a case and divy them up, I do have an account with them, but I don't think you need one.

Default math...

Its been a while since I had high school math, but trying to get a handle on what size liner might fit...my buckets are Grimms and are 11" across the top 12.5 in deep and 9+" on the bottom. I think that gives me a top circumfrence of 35" ish. Is that a pretty standard size? if so, I would be interested in a couple hundred bags also...fred- were you thinking 2 mil is thick enough?

I would think if you dbl sided duct tape on the bottom of the bucket it would hold the bag in place as you dumped sap. The lid should keep the top of the bag in place...
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Tuckermtn,

I was thinking the same as you for holding the bag into the bottom of the bucket. I was also thinking of something like that where the hole would have to be made for the hookless spout to go in just under the rim.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

OK guys we got a good idea going here. Lets just prefect it. I will call this afternoo. I did order a catalog on line from them.

I have been using the 2 gallon sized store brand freezer bags in my buckets for the past three years and they work very well. All you have to do is fold one edge over the side where the hole to hang the bucket is and when you place the bucket on the tap, "punch" the spout hanger through the bag as well. This will pinch the bag under the lip of the bucket (where it is lipped over the bucket rib" and hold it very nicely. When emptied, you just lift the bucket off the hanger like always and pour it out. The bag does not even have to move. When emptied, just replace the whole thing back on the hook ensuring the bag is still pinched or hooked in place in concert with the bucket. At the end of the year, just recycle the bag with your plastics and give the buckets a spritz of fresh water as a few drops of sap will at some point enter the bucket during the season. I would have to go through a ton of bags to make up for what the paint costs. Not to mention that the bags do not chip off and need to be repainted.
    78 acres of heaven on earth
    2x5 Patrick Phaneuf evaporator
    Springtech Mini Elite 125 R.O.
    280 on vacuum, more to come in 2012!
    International springtech mini elite owners club member serial number T-9318.
    New 15x25 sugarhouse with 6x12 attached RO room for 2012.
    http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...house%20build/

Quote Originally Posted by RileySugarbush View Post
    This company may have what you need. Flexible or semi-rigid FDA approved liners for pails and drums. Looks like the could make custom shapes, too.

http://www.cdf1.com/linerpro.htm#
    I would not be able to buy from them. Only distrubitor's can and Uline is one of them and so is the McMatser company.
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; 02-06-2007 at 01:03 PM.

tuckermtn-

That is the size bucket I measured last night, so a 18 inch wide bag has 36 inches of material when you add up both sides, might be tight, but should work to wrap over the bucket edge.

I don't see why you'd need the extra mils since the bag is just a liner. 2 mil should be fine.

The smallest 20" bag they have which would be roughly 40 inches in diameter or slightly less when rounded open should certainly cover going over the bucket easily. Is a 20x20 and is 56 bucks plus shipping for 500 of them.

Might be safer to go a bit bigger and have pleanty to use.

You'd still have roughly 8-10 inches to wrap over the outside edge.

I was going to use double stick tape on the bottom too.

I called and the 2 mil's are 100% fda usda approved for food contact.

I got some on the way, I'll let you know how they fit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast