+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: galvanized buckets and lead

Default is it the solder or the galvanized metal

this may have been clarified earlier, but I cannot seem to find it...

is the source of the lead concern in the buckets just the solder or the galvized metal itself? if it is just the solder thats the issue, then why not just seal that part of the bucket w/ a few coats of epoxy food grade paint?
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Talking

Fred and anyone else that is interested. You can get FDA USDA approved poly bags from Uline. I think they will sell to anyone, but if not I have a business account with them and could get them for you.

www.uline.com

or 1-800-295-5510

I use them for business supplies, and found they carried FDA Bags. I was looking into buying some bags for sap saks, but never really took it any further but I did buy some bags and forgot about them.

The item I think you can get away with is

S-1011 it is a 2 mil poly bag that is 18x24. I measured a bucket I have and get a rough circumfrence of 35 inches, so the 18x2 or 36 inches would allow you to put the bag in the bucket, and drape over the outside edge and still use your cover as you normally would.

I got some of the 4 mil and 6 mil bags, only because I wanted the integrity of the bag to be able to hold the weight of the sap if it were full. That kinda goes out the window when you are just looking at it for a liner, the bucket is still supporting the weight of the sap, not the bag.

They sell in cases of 500 bags for 44 bucks plus shipping just a hair over 8 cents a piece. Maybe others would go in on some and split them up.

The catalog shows clear print on the 4 and 6 mil bags that they meet the FDA and USDA specifications made from virgin polyethylene film. I don't see it on the 2mil now that I am looking but a quick question to the operator should clear that up. I just don't think there was room on that page of the catalog to print it. Can't see why the 2mils aren't fda approved, but in that case they have 4mil bag item #S-2137 18x18 80.00 for 500.

This could be the forefront of a revolution. I hope leader and lapierre aren't looking. I want commission if you are listening.

Should work as slick as pulling a greasy string from a cat's behind.

By the way the sap saks are 12 inches wide, or roughly 24 inches round and won't fit the buckets, and they are over 20 cents each in cases of 250.

There is an other plus to putting liners in buckets other than the lead issue. Think of the time you will save not washing buckets. there would be enough time to ........ Well you Know what I am getting at.

Tuckermtn,
    There are alot of difrent types of mdetal buckets. Some where made of galvinized metal that contained lead in the galvanizing. Some where made of galvinized metal that contained less lead but where soldered with lead. Others where made of ternplate steal, that contained up to 50% lead in the metal and then sealed at the seams with straight lead. The ternplate steal buckets are smooth and clean looking and ussually are thought to be the best becuase of there clean apearance, but they are the worst. all buckets as well as most tanks and evaporators produced before 1994 contained lead of some type. If you arn't sure if yours contains lead, go to you rhardware store and buy a lead test stick from the paint dept. These sticks contain 2 difrent chemicals that when mixed together and then exposed to lead will turn red. The redder the stick turns the more lead is in the metal. Don't just check the main bdy of metal but the seams and any obvious metal changes in the equipment being checked.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

Default testing...

maplehound- thanks for the explainer. when I bought out a older sugarmaker in the area a few months back he had around 200 Grimm buckets- look like the 16 qt version. Most of them look like they have been painted on the inside. I tested the inside(i.e. painted) of the buckets with a lead test and it was negative. I took some sandpaper and removed the paint on the solder- tested again and it was positive. Planning on either a repaint on insides of buckets to be sure or some sort of bag liner.
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

royalmaple,
    I went to their web site and the 18x24 2mil bags are USDA & FDA approved for food contact. I will be placing a call to them this morning. I want to be sure that the bag has the circu that I need.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Hey Fred - if you buy a case, would you sell me some to try? Beth likes the idea of not having to wash buckets any more.

I imagine the lid would clamp down on the bag to hold it in place, but I wonder if dumping them would be harder with the bag sliding out?
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

I think if you put duct tape around the bucket and tape it on, you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by ibby458 View Post
    Hey Fred - if you buy a case, would you sell me some to try? Beth likes the idea of not having to wash buckets any more.

I imagine the lid would clamp down on the bag to hold it in place, but I wonder if dumping them would be harder with the bag sliding out?
    Yes I will defently sell you some . But I still have not called them yet. Just too much going on this morning.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast