+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: galvanized buckets and lead

Maplehound
    There are so many of those buckets on ebay now that you couldn't haul them away with 10 eigthteen wheelers. You know I did a lot of tin knocking before I retired. Maybe I should just start makeing some out of SS. I bet I could crank out 600 easily.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Default bucket liner

If you want to get into the liner business for real bring your wallet. A FDA aproved Liner with a Made in the usa label will cost big time. If you find a manufacturer that can dump his trash in the Yangzee river then the cost per liner is less than 1/2 per piece but you need to order full shiping containers.40,000 lbs of bag liners is alot. I dont have that kind of money to invest/gamble. I bid however get a first hand edcuation on how the trading gets done in this country.I did like the Idea of assorted colors",just like yoou american call life saver" Never sleeping and alwayse dreaming-Super Sappy
    2x6 raised . more taps to come in o9 1 brown dog AKA GREAT FOAMY

What irrates me is that this is just one more example of regulators running wild. My youngest two sons just brought home their report cards, Both are on the High Honor roll, with a 90+ average. Of the 3 older ones, 2 have graduated from college and the middle one is partway thru, and on the Dean's List.

They were all raised on our syrup, gathered in soldered buckets, boiled in a soldered evaporator. I'm pretty sure all are lead soldered. Since we make it ourselves, I'm sure my boys ate a lot more than most kids!

Tell me again how lead in syrup harms mental development. You'll have to start early to convince me.

This reminds me of when I was running a Water Treatment Plant. At one point, the EPA came up with a list of pesticides we had to test for, Including several that were ONLY used on banana, pineapple and coffee plantations. At Thousands of dollars PER TEST, for chemicals that had NEVER been used, stored or manufactured in NY. Thankfull, the trade association got that one shut down. For now. The First rule for bad regulations, is - they NEVER go away, just occasionally, enforcement is "delayed".
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

Wink

It looks like a clear cut case of discrimination against maple producers. Just because we are not enough in numbers to do anything about it. So its either comply or lock the door. My sugarhouse is big enough to made it over into a summer rental cottage for anyone that likes being near nature.

Smile

Looks like selling syrup in recycled galvanized buckets isn't going to be the big money maker I had hoped for.

Concerning the Ohio law, how long before you'll need a "This product contains no lead" label??

Fred-

Send me your address and I'll send you a sap sak to look at.

Matt I would like one too. I think you have my address but I will pm it to you.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I did not have a luck looking for food grade, plastic bag liners for my buckets. So now its back to the drawing board.

Fred-

You just reminded me of another project I was working on last year. I just dug it out. I'll send you a message later with some details but I got a resource for the fda liners very cost effective. I forgot all about it until just now. I took it only so far and never did anything with it, but I'll spend some time on it later tonight.

Thumbs up

Matt,
    Sounds interesting and promising. I will be chewing my nails waiting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast