+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: galvanized buckets and lead

Use the buckets and don't worry about it if you are a smaller producer. This is more of the government trying to scare everybody. There are some producers out there that use several thousand buckets. It seems more of a scare tactic than anything else.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

With only 20 buckets the lead shouldn't be an issue. Epoxy paint is available but expensive. I'm not sure if the Maple Guys can get it but Bascom's does carry it.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I am going to use 400 buckets and I am not worrying about the lead. You got more lead in your kids school water pipes than you will ever get out of syrup.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Smile

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

The proof is in the pudding,,,make some syrup from you buckets then send out a sample to be tested,,if you plan on selling your syrup at stores in N.H. the state will come and test your syrup anyways,,better to find out ahead of time than from the state............
    Personally I think buckets are a major pain in the a$$,,and a waste of valubel time during the season,,,in my opinion you are way ahead of the game with some tubing and plastic 5's,,,
    I just laugh seeing the snow plow filling all the roadside tree buckets with salty snow,,makes real nice syrup!!!!
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Parker; Buckets are used elsewhere and not just roadside trees. The University of Vt in some of their studies has found that the road salt is taken up thru the roots of roadside trees and then transfers to the syrup. So after the lead issue is dead then it will be salt from road trees, and so on and so. Like I said you yourself will injest more lead from water pipes then you ever will from syrup. Lets face it you drink and use more water than you do syrup.

Default Buckets

I agree Fred,I know some producers that are 82 years young.They live in Russel and they have been using buckets for 2 generations and starting the 3rd.They prefer the buckets.There are to many old time producers around that people should take that into consideration.They have not been infected by lead.Buckets have been around alot longer than tubing,give it another 50+ years and they will start saying that tubing will effect us some how.I buckets on road trees for and if it wasn't for buying a 50 acre sugar bush I still would.
    "if you have galv. buckets I say use them"
    3x12 D&G Champion, 1100 taps w/27" of vac.New in 2013 600gph RO. 10 buckets for the kids.

10 years down the road your respective state will be coming into your surgarbush and tell you which trees you can tap and how many taps you can put into each tree, and they will charge a fee for their services. Ten more years and I will be out of it or just stand on the sideline watching.
    12 years ago when I was building our house the state of New York and this township would not let me use CPVC for my hot and cold water. These organization have the funds to do the research. Do they know something that we don't about plastic tubing. The Lamb vinyl tubing was supposed to be the greatest stuff since sliced bread. Now most of it has been discarded. I plan on keeping my buckets.
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; 02-01-2007 at 07:45 AM.

lead poisoning is an acumulative thing. Those who die of it ( 2000 last year , so we were told ) get it from many difrent sources. Maple syrup is just one possible contributor to the problem. Water pipes are another. It was interesting to note though that lead in soldered preheaters was not found to be a contibuter in maple syrup operations. I do believe that this isue isn't as big as it is made out to be but it is an isue. We should all be considering it as we upgrade our operations, and as we decide how to manage the operations we curently run. Other posible lead spots in the operation may be: metal spiles, Tanks, Pumps( including the old brass pumps on filter presses), roadside dust that gets into the buckets and uncovered tanks, lead solderd pans, the list can go on but you get the idea. I believe we don't all need to panic and go out and buy new equipment but just keep it in mind when we can upgrade. Always remember we are making a food grade product and when we buy food from the markets we expect it to be edibal and safe. Our customers should expect no less of our product.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

How about the air we breath and the water we drink. This lead BS is just that, BS. Its out there and its everywhere. For any groups to single out maple producers is another crock. Maple producers represent a very small percentage of those making food. Lets take a look at the meat industry. Livestock drinking water out of a galv stock tank. Most people here eat more meat than syrup. Lets get the gov to jump on them. Better yet lets shut the livestock industry down, lay off all the meatcutters. What would that due to the GNP. This country could go into another depression not a recession.
    I don't think that the started of this thread ever thought that it would go this far, but this has really got me on a rant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast