+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: galvanized buckets and lead

I am indeed a real person, and using galvanised buckets. Not terne-plate as mentioned below. The amount of lead in galvanized buckets is debatable. Some old buckets have been soldered, and that's an obvious flaw. Those buckets go straight in the recycle bin. What I'm saying, is that there are millions of these buckets in common use, and that there is no plan in place to take them out of production, and no viable replacement available for those using buckets. If I rid myself of these buckets, someone else will hang them next year, so it's not a solution to the problem. I think a buy-out program is the only solution.

Further, I think a buy out plan is probably the ONLY solution. Our regulatory agencies have been stripped of budgets and personnel, and there is no mechanism to go out and track down all these buckets. Apparently those folks don't think this is a problem worthy of their attention.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

The more I think about it the more I think its might be an option ......the buy back. Remember what happend with Cash for Clunkers every car with a title in a junk yard that ran was coming out and back in after the Government (us) doled out cash. Now you take a guy that has 500 buckets in his barn that has converted to tubing will bring them out and wont be helping the problem of current bucket use.

If there is no viable replacement as you say then how about getting the big tubing manufactures/sellers to do a rebate/discount for every bucket you get a % off your tubing purchase. Now I'm not a big "why don't WE all get together and change the world" kind of guy but if its your passion give it a try. If someone its promoting their syrup as free range No tubing or Vacuum, NOT ROed or organic then when you have to label your syrup as being collected in Galvanized buckets containing lead then things will change.

The next label we will need is one saying this product comply's with California lead standards and then you will be out.

The guy who switched over to tubing sold his old buckets to the local dealer, who sold them to someone else. If those buckets are in storage, it's because they're waiting for a buyer.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    I think a buy-out program is the only solution.
    Or you can do as thousands of other maple producers have done and consider replacement as a cost of doing business.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Why is it, that anyone feels it's OK for the taxpayer to buy these buckets and pay to destroy them? Exactly, how much lead contamination is present in the fishished product, as a result of using old, soldered, galvanized buckets? And, what are the alternatives (other than tubing) that are "safer".

Haynes Forest Products Guest

SS, Aluminum or bags food grade buckets.

Well, there are plastic bag liners...which are plastic. I saw a chart a few days ago that showed that 70% of all plastic is eventually lost into the environment. There are these new pitiful little plastic buckets which are only half big enough and again...plastic. There are aluminium buckets, which are scarcer than hen's teeth and another questionable choice. There are tree bags which look like a waste product as soon as you hang them. And of course there's tubing...miles and miles, tons and tons of plastic waste-to-be. I haven't visited a "modern" sugaring operation that didn't have a huge pile of that stuff lying behind the shed. My galvanized buckets all end up getting made into a Toyota someday when they're gone.
    There could be stainless steel sap buckets, but no one's making them.

There are quite a few unconvincing arguments on this thread. To summarize:

1. People consume lead from sources other than maple so therefore we shouldn't worry about it.
    2. If a producer gets rid of their problem buckets then someone else will use them so the answer is to do nothing.
    3. Alternatives to buckets have their own issues. Plastics have an environmental cost and aluminum causes Alzheimer's for those who believe in conspiracies. Therefore the answer is to do nothing.

Is this the best we can do? Lead is bad, period.
    Last edited by ecolbeck; 04-29-2018 at 07:54 AM. Reason: fixed spelling errors

I'll thank you not to paint me as the guy who is cool with lead. The reason i'm taking part in this thread is because I recognize the problem...and see that it's a lot bigger than my little operation. I can throw all my buckets away and go to my nearest dealer and buy that many more next week. There are millions of old buckets in use every year, and people buying and selling them right here on the Mapletrader classifieds page. I've been looking at alternatives since this discussion started, and would happily sell these buckets to anyone who wants to crush them. That person will need really deep pockets if they want to make a difference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast