+ Reply to Thread

Thread: galvanized bucket repair

Default galvanized bucket repair

Hey all,

Does anyone have suggestions for a food safe patch on pinhole leaks in metal buckets? I have two with small leaks (and that is all it takes), one galvanized and one aluminium. I could use a gob of silicone, but I don't know, that doesn't strike me as the most healthy way to do a repair.

Thanks,

Mark

I think you would be better off using bucket liners that are available. Bascoms and other places carry them
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

for a few years I started having a problem of some kid in town shooting a couple buckets a year with a 22. well I assume it was a kid. he never got caught and I had all my buckets out. so I ran stainless sheet metal screws from the inside. they finished the year that way. I doubt your pin holes are on the smooth part of the buckets though.

If it's just a tiny leak at the seam, you can use an Amish trick. Wash the bucket well and dry completely. Turn your oven to the very lowest setting and put the bucket in for a few minutes to get hot (not really hot), take the bucket out with oven mitts and run a bar of plain paraffin wax around the seams. As the bucket cools, keep tipping the little puddle of wax around the bottom seam and it will fill the crack and make it waterproof. This seal will work until you forget and wash the buckets with really hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    If it's just a tiny leak at the seam, you can use an Amish trick. Wash the bucket well and dry completely. Turn your oven to the very lowest setting and put the bucket in for a few minutes to get hot (not really hot), take the bucket out with oven mitts and run a bar of plain paraffin wax around the seams. As the bucket cools, keep tipping the little puddle of wax around the bottom seam and it will fill the crack and make it waterproof. This seal will work until you forget and wash the buckets with really hot water.
    nice trick!

I have a few buckets with leaks in them, would water safe JB weld or plumbers putty work and not contaminate the sap.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

The best time to expand is when your small. Replace all leaking buckets with non leaking buckets.

+ Reply to Thread