+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: galvanized buckets and lead

4. Making changes is expensive. Therefore we do nothing.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I also hear about the environmental concerns of plastic. Well if we take that down to its final decimal point then we have to consider all factors. Lets get startred

1) How much oil does firewood consume?
    2) How much oil does collecting 1000 buckets, bags hollowed out logs consume?
    3) How much oil is saved by using plastic pipelines?
    4) Are people considered part of the environment if so how much damage is being done to them?
    5) If your so concerned about the use of plastic would it be safe to assume that you have absolutely no plastic containers, drinking cups, baby bottles, water bottles, toilet seats (food grade I hope), plastic coated paper plates, Tupper Ware, Zip-loc bags, milk jugs in your house?

I could go on and on and ON. I'm a firm believer that sometimes you have to be absurd to show absurdity. If your going to use some facts to try and condone an action then your trying to fool me and yourself.

Upgrades always cost money. I’ve been guilty as anyone for using lead soden equipment back before we knew better. But since it’s been brought to the forefront I’ve gradually worked away at getting rid of anything containing lead. Not all at once but a bit at a time as upgrades, replacements and improvements were required. Yes it cost money but in many cases it was stuff that needed replacing anyways. I see almost no galvanized pails being used in my area now a days and you certainly don’t see any for sale accept to be used as planter boxes.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

I've got almost 150 galvanized buckets in my basement that I no longer use and have been letting them sit there while I figure out what to do with them. Sometimes I feel that I should sell them and other times I feel that I should crush them with my tractor. The right thing to do would be to crush them but they're still sitting there taking up valuable space.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    I've got almost 150 galvanized buckets in my basement that I no longer use and have been letting them sit there while I figure out what to do with them. Sometimes I feel that I should sell them and other times I feel that I should crush them with my tractor. The right thing to do would be to crush them but they're still sitting there taking up valuable space.
    Yeah I was tempted once to sell mine. and could not do it. I am tempted to sell some real old rusty ones for decorations. there are those in the suburbs that seem to love that kind of stuff

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    The reason i'm taking part in this thread is because I recognize the problem...
    The most appropriate response to a concern of lead in syrup is TEST YOUR SYRUP FOR LEAD. If you don't have a problem (below the action level for your area and you don't sell to a packer), you're good to go. If you do have high lead, or simply want to reduce your lead level, take correction actions.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I would take the buckets out and put a few rounds from your AK47 thru the bottoms and sell them on Craig's list for decorations. Maybe try doing 10 at a time its fun and you will be doing mankind a favor. I'm starting to believe I'm a product of to much lead consumption or was it the Beryllium, Asbestos, Murcury with a tinge of Silicosis crap I cant remember.

Default Lead

I have used buckets for this past 27 years, but here is the deal. Buckets whether Galvanized or plastic are hard to keep up with. There is more than enough work to be done without having to tend to the gather of the buckets sap. I have scaled back to less than 10 percent of my small operations sap coming from buckets (galvanized or otherwise). I figure to use "some" sap sacks & plastic buckets next season, but my money is going after expanding to more plastic tubing each year. Once the Gubmit, and/or whomever point to any equipment that "Lead" may leach into the product from I will and have, as the opportunity has arisen to, move to replace that item of equipmet. It is just good stewardship I am figurin. I have a small operation of not quite a thousand taps so my opinion is a wee one, but the thing is . . . You cant beat the Gubmit. So make i the changes as the opportunity arises, and hopes for the best. If you've read this, Thank You. . . The Bonaparte (Maple Producing) Hermit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011