+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: galvanized buckets and lead

jwbmaple Guest

Question galvanized buckets and lead

I am new to the making of maple syrup and had a question about galvanized buckets. I had recently heard that there may be a lead concern when using these types of buckets. thoughts?

Yes there is some concern but there is also guide lines to go buy, as to how much is allowed. Each state has different standards.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Jwbmaple,

If you already have the buckets use them and keep the sap gathered. Sap absorbs the lead and the longer it sits there the more lead it absorbs. If you don't already have the buckets there are other alternatives like using tubing and running it into a 5 gallon bucket or a plastic tote at the base of the tree. Sap sacks are another choice.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Default lead thing.

I am for some reason real paranoid about lead . I use some old buckets but if sap sits in them longer than 8 hours I dump them. In five years of tapping that has only happened once.I have eaten alot of syrup and the lead has only affected-affected- affested -affected my typing hand at this point. Where can you send syrup in New York to be tested ? super sappy
    2x6 raised . more taps to come in o9 1 brown dog AKA GREAT FOAMY

Check with your state association for the nearest testing facility. The only time mine was tested was a quite a few years ago.
    As for wondering about equpiment you should be able to go to your local hardware store and get a kit that will test to see if there is any lead present in what ever your concern is.
    Keith

Used aluminum buckets are a fairly cheap alternative also.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

There are a couple diffrent labs that will test for lead. The cheapest is your local dept. of agriculture. They should do it for free but then the results are public knowledg. ( at least the Ohio Dept. of Ag.) The next cheapest and most recomended for privasy is
    Endyne Inc.( combined with Sci test Labs Inc.)
    160 James Brown DR.
    Williston, Vermont 05495
    Phone 802-879-4333
    Fax: 802-879-7103
    Web: www.endynelabs.com
    Cost $25 per sample, chain of custody paperwork required with each sample.

If this doesn't work for you then I have address for 2 other labs but the cost for them is $40 for New Hampshire Division of Public Health Services and UVM Agricultural and Enviromental Testing Lab may or may not be testing at any given time.
    After this past Sat. I don't recomend selling any syrup that has had the sap collected in galvinized buckets.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

Maplehound,
    What was last Saturday? What did you hear about sap/syrup from galvanized buckets? Please explain. Thank's.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Bucket head
    This past Saturday was the Ohio Maple days. As I have posted elsewhere There was alot of discusion on lead in syrup. Ohio has decided to enforce a 10 year old law limiting syrup lead to under 250 ppb and anyone over 250 and under 500 ppb gets a letter asking for a plan of action to reduce it in the future. If your over 500ppb then they will embargo the syrup for further testing. If it still test over 500ppb then it is destroyed. Those in Ohio ( such as Richards Maple products) that buy syrup wholesale in bulk have all batches tested before they can buy it. It has suddenly become quit the issue here. Even Vermont only has an action in place and not a law, and they were the first to really push the issue.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

jwbmaple Guest

Question

Could you line the buckets with platic garbage bags. I have 20 buckets that I plan on using

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast