+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Tap yet in Interior SW CT

Default Anyone Tap yet in Interior SW CT

It looks like this weekend may the best time to do it. Has anyone in the area tapped or plan on tapping shortly?

tapped in monroe.

Should be good tomorrow and starting this weekend.

Between yesterday and today I tapped 120 on lines not a drip of sap anywhere.

Nathan
    123 taps 2012
    175 taps 2013
    250 taps 2014
    3 Sap Haulers & 1 Maple Widow
    2X6 Smokey maple pans

http://smilebox.com/play/4d7a41784e5..._playback_link

Quote Originally Posted by killingworthmaple View Post
    Between yesterday and today I tapped 120 on lines not a drip of sap anywhere.

Nathan
    It's coming! It's going to start this weekend and really get going next week. Weather wise I think it's going to be a good seasons (at least what I can see on 3/3)!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Quote Originally Posted by sr73087 View Post
    It looks like this weekend may the best time to do it. Has anyone in the area tapped or plan on tapping shortly?
    tapped in Bristol on Sunday. 40 taps. all dripping except 1 red maple and 2 large sugars (38" caliper). I have 6 gallons of sap.
    SWEET 56 SUGAR SHACK

Default eatern side of the state

we are all tapped over in salem and have about 250 taps out. 155 on vac tapped late last week and i finished up tapping about 100 on buckets yesterday. sap was dripping on a few trees late monday afternoon this weekend looks promising. we have almost 3ft of snow on the ground and it was a chore to tap and get out to the woods with a tractor, snowshoes are mandatory equipment. collecting is going to be a chore as well. still need to take the snowblower and cut a path to the wood pile.

Tapped out with some of my students in Farmington today (8 total) only one was dripping slowly. Going to tap out mine at home on Sunday morning - hoping to get 75 in but with the deep snow not sure how many will go in.
    2' x 3' backyard evaporator with homemade steam hood
    38.5 gallons produced in 2022
    120 taps all on 3/16" tubing
    4" x 40" homemade RO built for 2023
    https://sites.google.com/view/mattat...aplesyrup/home

Tapped in Redding (FF County) Sugar is Sweet

Tapped 14 trees today in Redding.
    Zero drips from the Big Guys – and barely any from the smaller and medium sized trees.
    Drank the sap from one and BOY what that good!  Been too long! What a treat!
    Getting through snow – not as bad as I expected.
    Set up evaporator so we are ready to boil this weekend.

Looks like tomorrow is the day then. I'm going to need the snowshoes. As of right now the temps next week look perfect.

20 taps in Shelton and Monroe. Got some drips, but not enough to collect. Tomorrow in the 40s so should be the start I would think.

Question - What time of day is best to collect? My guess would be later in evening after sap stops but before bucket freezes. Last year I was only watching one tree, this year I am split locations, dont want to drive more than needed.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast