+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: March Journal

Default town meeting day

I tapped in a couple hundred taps today cuz I was born in vermont and its town meeting day tomorrow.I agree with mike look out on the 3 rd week of march and put on your swimmies . The big sap flow is coming soon = GO VOTE TOMORROW
    2x6 raised . more taps to come in o9 1 brown dog AKA GREAT FOAMY

Finally looking like maple weather most of the rest of the month. We start tapping Sat. Will most likely be snowshoes, but we'll try getting the snowmobile in with a jet sled to haul supplies. I also have pull handles I made for 2 such sleds (made using emt) if we need to pull the sleds, the handles work much better than ropes and they swap to solid towbars for behind snow mobile and ATV in seconds. With so much snow in the woods my guess is that we will need to lift lines from under the snow to relevel and tap.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Tried to make it to the top of the sugarbush today (2,400+ elevation section), snow started pushing over the top of the Argo. Had to turn around. Snow is very soft. Thankfully lifted mainlines last fall up to five feet plus off the ground. Still have some clearance under the mainlines.
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

Spent the day in the sugar house still getting ready. Went to CDL this morning and got some supplies and they have totes for sale so I grabbed one for a transfer tank, half the price of a pickup tank. Hope the temps break things up and we get some sap moving
    2015 New sugarhouse 14x24 looking at 200 taps and 10 buckets,added auf to evaporator
    2014 102 taps on gravity 10 buckets new 2x6 custom evaporator 12"x20" homemade finisher. And one old 8x10 shed
    A better plan in place
    2013 10 taps 1x2 flat pan needed a better plan

A family that loves pure maple syrup
    One awesome helper ( my son)

after 3 days of trying to fix leaks on my ro after changing membranes i find out that the new caps i hard to order where brittish threads so ready to ring some necks
    Boyd
    750 taps on vacuum
    150 taps on gravity
    122 buckets
    250 gph homemade ro
    3x8 raised flue pans on a homemade air over arch
    hoods and preheater
    my biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my sugaring stuff for what i told her i payed for it
    http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/jrthe3/

We're going to the woods tomorrow. Going to attempt breaking trail with the snowmobile. If that gets stuck, we'll all be walking in on snowshoes. If we can bust trail with the snowmobile, after several times in and out, the ATV will likely make it. That goes thru up to 25-30" of light and fluffy, but with a crust that it breaks thru, it won't go at all most likely.
    Tomorrow will be my first time using my new Hot End system. I got an extra battery, I hope it like it as much as what I've read others like it.
    I hope no new big trees came down, we had everything fixed and cleaned up between Christmas and Jan 9, but have not been able to get in since with the machines.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

It ended up being a snowshoe day. The snowmobile got stuck 4 times just trying to get out the 1st 100'. I decided I really like the Hot End system, very quick and easy. My only complaint is the weight of the battery, but I guess it's worth it. My first battery ran for 6 hours. I thought that was good.

Tried to get to sugarbush today, yeah right. Made it about 100 yds up the hill and that was with my 4x4 tractor, and that was a mess, broke a line trying to use bucket to get unstuck. I have at least 3/4 of mile uphill left to go, might try my snowblower tomorrow. If that does not work and I doubt it will I will miss at least the first week of runs. I thought about trying to get a bulldozer but at around $500 dollars to get someone top plow it is not worth it. The crappy thing is if I had a dozer it would take about 2-3 hours to drive up and back, but so is life. This winter sucks!!!
    2008 700 ranger xp sap hauler/45 hp 4x4 tractor/028 super stihl
    2x4 mason hobby/blower/new for 2014 smoky lake hybrid pan
    2014 300ish buckets and still need bigger evaporator/14 x 20 square log shack
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?
    gets expensive in a hurry!!

It looks like Thursday March 5th was our last freeze here in southern Kentucky and I suppose it will run dry till next year. Last boil tomorrow. Good luck y'all!
    first year at the market 2015!
    I don't act my age so why should i act like i have any sense?
    2014 added a 40"x12' king
    239 taps on my little 3 1/2 acres
    Looking for a sugarbush lease!
    2015 350 taps total
    60 gallons made in spite of learning curve and leaks!
    Good year at the market with all the confections too!
    2016 delaval 76 & with a 6.5 Hp engine gives me 16hg! I think it made my trees 10' shorter.

Finally, yesterday was my first boil, from accumulated sap from 8 days to have enough to fire up the first time. I finally had enough to boil for 3 hrs. after running the RO. Did not get to my first draw, was 3 degrees light yet at shutdown. It now looks like the next 2 weeks will be good and busy. For me this is actually good timing, I don't have to return to work until 4/7 and then I took 4/8 off in the afternoon (I drive school bus, done in morning about 9:00 AM), then I drive am and pm on 4/9 and 4/10 , then 2 days off for the weekend. This should get me past the rush, and then it will be slowing (or stopping?). We are on Spring Break, a time when I often am on after season cleanup, this year I just started.
    Sugar %, I've had quite a broad range, from 1.8 up to 5.2% from individual trees. The batch yesterday, blended from all previous hauls over several days, was still at 3.2%, and it had 1" of ice on top in the tank. From washing other tanks, including my head tank and cleaning to RO to be ready to process 2 days earlier, must be I didn't drain my hoses good enough, all had some ice in them someplace in the hose. What a pain in the a$$. I will be more careful from now on.
    Flow should start again today shortly after noon and might run all night. I'm sure glad gas prices are down because my pumps both run on gas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast