+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Douglas

Maple Douglas, once you get a rolling boil on your turkey fryer you'll need one hour of time per square foot of surface area of your pot. That should help you figure out how long it's going to take to boil your 7 gallons. Enjoy the day!
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

Thanks Karen, good to know.

Looks like I might have to wait to boil during the week, today's plan of boiling is not happening. My buckets of sap are mostly frozen.
    2015=6 taps, first year attempting this

it's been a while since I used a turkey fryer, but I think I was boiling off 2 gal/hr. preheated the sap on the stove so I could dump more in without breaking the boil. Had to be careful with small amounts, 10 gal of sap will only yield about a quart of syrup, so when it gets low, maybe a gallon, take it off an finish it on the stove. are you using the candy thermometer method? roughly 219 degrees? Tractor supply has syrup filters.
    Rochdale, Central Mass.
    Zero taps for 2016.
    Still have plenty of syrup from last year.
    6.72 kW solar array, and on our second Nissan Leaf all electric car.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Douglas View Post
    Thanks Karen, good to know.

Looks like I might have to wait to boil during the week, today's plan of boiling is not happening. My buckets of sap are mostly frozen.

Oooo, that's perfect Maple Douglas! I love to see ice in the buckets! Using the search function on this site, check out the many threads on here about dumping ice. If you are careful about not throwing out the hard ice blocks and only dispose of the slushy ones you can greatly decrease the necessary boiling time by increasing the sugar content of your remaining sap. For us real small-timers, ice is a god-send.

If you decide to continue on with propane burners, look into using a rectangular steam tray instead of a round pot to increase your surface area. You could easily double your evaporation rate using the same amount of propane.
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

I purchased a spile brush, filters, thermometer, funnel and a scoop from Tractor Supply.

Do I need a hydrometer? The reviews on the tractor supply one were not that great. Tractor supply had a few of those when I was last there also. All of this stuff adds up quite quickly.

No slush Karen, rock solid sap ice. Where do you find rectangular steam trays to fit inside the propane stand? My plan is to use the circular pot the fryer came with.
    2015=6 taps, first year attempting this

you definitely need a syrup hydrometer. A sap hydrometer would help telling how much sugar you have but the syrup one is a Must Have. It is simply the most reliable to tell when you are at syrup.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

A syrup hydrometer is great to have, but in his case won't do him much good yet as he's doing really small batches. Tapping reds and silvers, boiling 10 gallons of sap down in a turkey fryer will yield less syrup than if he tapped sugars, so will end up with less than a quart. That's a pretty small pan to finish on the kitchen stove and you'd have to pour it almost all off into the hydrometer cup to check it. So, thermometer will suffice, especially for home use. You can play with your syrup density that way too, see if you like it thicker or thinner. It won't last long feeding kids pancakes.
    Rochdale, Central Mass.
    Zero taps for 2016.

it's his first time. you think by next year he;'s not gonna wanna do bigger and more?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

if tractor supply doesn't have what you nee, Leeway true value hardware in north Smithfield has few supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Douglas View Post
    I purchased a spile brush, filters, thermometer, funnel and a scoop from Tractor Supply.

Do I need a hydrometer? The reviews on the tractor supply one were not that great. Tractor supply had a few of those when I was last there also. All of this stuff adds up quite quickly.

No slush Karen, rock solid sap ice. Where do you find rectangular steam trays to fit inside the propane stand? My plan is to use the circular pot the fryer came with.

Quote Originally Posted by eustis22 View Post
    it's his first time. you think by next year he;'s not gonna wanna do bigger and more?
    I imagine he will. Once you get into making your own syrup it's only natural to want to make a little more. Next year, he'll have a bigger pan and a hydrometer. But what he really needs is to find some sugars, maybe in family or friends yards, who'll let him tap. Then he'll be off and running. Starting small is good. Learn the gist of it all.

My very first tap was in a neighbor's Norway, just a milk jug. Boiled the first gallon I got on the stove, all excited, until it was a tiny blob that went from syrup to a kind of taffy in the wink of an eye. We ate it anyway. It was fun.
    Rochdale, Central Mass.
    Zero taps for 2016.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast