+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Late start

Default Late start

Looks like it's going to be a late year in Ohio. What's the latest you ever started? Was there ever a "No sap year"?
    12x32 insulated sugar shack, concrete floor
    450 Yamaha Rhino for collecting
    One Rescued PMU Workhorse, Belgian
    new (2010) Leader American 2x6
    300 taps

Eastern NY& southern VT area, March 11. Not that I recall since 1971.

My latest first boil was last year (3/27) my earliest was (2/8), just 1 year before. My tapping was the last full week in Feb in '03-05 then it started moving earlier each year until last year when I finished tapping 1/20 (but first boil was not until 3/27) This year I am still waiting to tap, maybe start next week. We have not had a year with no sap flow but the later it starts the greater the likleyhood it might be a shorter season.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Our first boil last year was 01 April and in 2012, we did our first boil second week of February. With cold temps forecasted next 2 weeks, looking at mid to late March to begin the season (hopefully).
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

I've never seen a "no sap Year", but I have seen "so little d#$% sap there may as well been no sap" years! Those are also called write off years

I think in the last 15 years there was one year where we made about 40 gallons of syrup from 300 taps. or about 1/2 what we should have made. Last year we did not make much syrup until March 20th. Several years earlier we were done at that time. We wait and hope we are ready when it does happen.
    Regard,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

out of 13 taps put in initially we saw ten gallon. upped to 17 we saw 15 gallon more over the weekend (gathered yesterday). today is slow and only have maybe 5 gallons out of 20 taps. I may re-tap one tree which has produced almost nothing.

+ Reply to Thread