+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Year, When to Tap?

Cool First Year, When to Tap?

Hi All,

This is my first year at this. I can see why people call it an addiction already. I am working on my Barrel Evaporator, and have everything else all ready to go. It seems that I may have missed a week or so of sap run, but the weather is all freezing right now. This Sunday is supposed to be above, but then the rest of the week is below. So my question is; do i tap my trees this Saturday, or wait until the next weekend when temperature will start being more ideal for sap run... Live in Southeast PA. Tapping mostly Reds and some large sycamore.

Thanks for the help,
    Tim

DSC_0015.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cowboyott; 02-20-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Welcome to the club!

This year is screwey for us. Last year I was tapped feb 1 and was making syrup. You can tap now or wait. Won't matter really.
    Even when it does warm up you'll have to wait for them to thaw out a little. I've got 100 gallons of sap sitting in two drums frozen solid. Probably won't thaw out till June! The reds will run a little funny. Some you'll think are gonna blead to death and others probably won't run much at all. Anyway good luck, and have fun doing it.
    You're not too far away, would love to see your rig running sometime.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

With buckets it will be best if you wait 1 more week. The holes will be fresher at the end of the season when the best sap runs usually come.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

You never said how many taps you have. If you are only hanging 25-100 buckets then I would wait till the day before the sap runs.

Spud

Tapping Sycamore? Is that really a thing?

20 Taps - Yea, supposedly you can tap sycamore. It just has a lower sugar content. Has anyone ever tried it?

I think I will wait until next weekend to do my tapping then. I am guessing that even if it runs tomorrow, it wont be much... better to have fresh holes, for when it flows better - sounds like the best plan

Never heard of tapping sycamore, does not mention anything about in Wikipedia, however it is not in the maple family not sure of mixing it, your resulting syrup will probably not have a maple flavor.
    2008 700 ranger xp sap hauler/45 hp 4x4 tractor/028 super stihl
    2x4 mason hobby/blower/new for 2014 smoky lake hybrid pan
    2014 300ish buckets and still need bigger evaporator/14 x 20 square log shack
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?
    gets expensive in a hurry!!

I plan to boil separate. You can also make syrup from birch I hear...

Birch,walnut, butternut, and a bunch more. But they taste funny if u are used to maple.
    3 taps this year... 2 on tubing 1 bucket

+ Reply to Thread