+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine tapping 2015

Anybody get any sap today? I'm kinda wishing I was tapped so that I could've used the day to check for leaks. Oh well. Instead I gave the evaporator and tanks a rinsing and I'll start in tapping tomorrow.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

I started tapping this afternoon and a few of my 3/16 drops filled up.. not sure what did in middle of day
    2008---35 buckets--3 gal syrup
    2015---150 on 3/16 gravity&50 Buckets
    2016---350+/- on 3/16
    2017---700+ on 3/16
    2018---700+ on 3/16 added 500gal milk tank

Quote Originally Posted by abbott View Post
    Anybody get any sap today? I'm kinda wishing I was tapped so that I could've used the day to check for leaks. Oh well. Instead I gave the evaporator and tanks a rinsing and I'll start in tapping tomorrow.
    We got maybe a gallon on what we have tapped in Auburn. I was able to get there tonight to tidy up some tubing and it was mostly full. What did run was about 1.75%.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

It's definitely time to hit the woods on Saturday. We've been working on improvements since late November till now, so it's time to see the benefits of all the hard work. We just kept putting up new mains and lats without keeping track of how many taps we picked up, I have 500 new drops and tees ready to cut in, hope they all get a spot. This year we added another tower to the RO and replaced the old preheat coil that was pretty used up with a new stainless one. Hopefully Mother Nature will deal us the cards we need before Maple Sunday, the syrup inventory is down to six half gallons, three quarts, dozen pints and a few glass items. Time to fill some barrels!!!

Hope all is well for everyone, have a great season.

Shawn
    Three Generation Operation
    18' x 40' sugar-shack
    3' x 12' oil fired Small Brothers Raised flue
    10" full bank filter press
    1,700 on Vacuum
    500 gravity.
    Custom RO

One great family!!!!

Going to start tapping tomorrow here in southern Aroostook County. Hopefully it won't freeze up tight next week - need sap for Maple Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by Flat47 View Post
    Going to start tapping tomorrow here in southern Aroostook County. Hopefully it won't freeze up tight next week - need sap for Maple Sunday!
    Didn't tap - still too cold and the forecast is looking colder than first thought.

Default We're tapped and ready to go.

We are all tapped, and ready to go now. There are some warm days coming, but I am really glad we aren't on the Maine Maple Sunday list. We aren't going to have much. I checked out the weather, and we'll sweeten the pan this weekend, maybe and be turning out some syrup next week, but we won't have much. We have about 3 gallons left from last year, so that won't take us very far. So far it's been fun anyway. We had some visitors yesterday and one painted a pic of the sugarhouse, so I traded a gift certificate for my shop for it. It's a sweet pic!
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Started tapping Sunday. Every tree I drilled immediately ran. I am setting up 6 pipelines with 5/16 tube. New process for me. Had no choice as the snows too deep for the ATV to run buckets. A bit of a learning curve going on for sure. Only got 2 lines tapped at 150 - 250 ft each. Slow going do it alone. **** dog won't hold one end while trying to put the tee's in. The scramble is on!
    2010 - barrel stove & a steam table pan. 10 - 12 trees
    2011 - same deal as the year before. My son is now hooked along with me.
    2012 - Took over the garden shed and set up a Mason 2x3. Hoping to tap 30 - 50 trees. Ended up with 100 taps out.
    Finished the season with 16 gallons made
    2013- - Purchased a Smokey Lake 2 x 3 Hybrid pan. WOW, what a difference!!

I am all in, sugar house cleaned and set up, did a test boil yesterday with water to make sure things are good. Only one leak to repair and now waiting for the run to start. I am hoping to sweeten the pans this weekend but will depend on the weather as always.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

Placed about 100 taps this past Sunday and today. Not much flowing today with the wind. Tues. and Wed. look good so maybe we'll do a boil by Friday. Getting a little anxious

2020: 317 taps, 2021: 360, 2022: 350 2023: 300, 2024: 230 (getting smarter)
    Drop lines and hanging buckets, all hand lugged
    2 X 6 raised flue evaporator
    7in. Filter press
    17 HP Kubota tractor
    12 X 16' sugar shack
    Sugar and red maples

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast