+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine tapping 2015

Default Maine tapping 2015

So this waiting game is starting to get the best of me. Looking at the 10 day forecast this morning on NECN that is normally the best it says Sunday 39 but then into the 20s for all of next week. I have about a day of work to have the sugar house ready, set the releaser and tap. I'm doing my best to hold off but i have an itch that is killing me. Im torn to tap for Sunday but it says rain/snow. Whats everyone else thinking?

Scott
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

I'm holding off for now, I was thinking about starting this weekend but like many others the long range is depressing. Oh well, we have some new bushes to get pipe strung up in, so this added time is beneficial in one aspect. My Father has been busting his hump on the tractor everyday just to keep the access roads open from all the snow, looking out the office window right now, looks like another clean up will be needed 6" to 12" expected nice!!! Remember last year, had the second boil of the season April 13th.

Best to all,

Shawn,
    Three Generation Operation
    18' x 40' sugar-shack
    3' x 12' oil fired Small Brothers Raised flue
    10" full bank filter press
    1,700 on Vacuum
    500 gravity.
    Custom RO

One great family!!!!

Last year I tapped first of March and it turned off cold for 5 weeks and the holes dried up. I am going to be patient this year. Good weather will come. Like most, I work all week so the only chance I have to tap is on the weekend, so I need to gauge it accordingly.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

I'm eavesdropping on your posts ;-) I'm just across the border in St. George, NB and I was wondering when I should start tapping so I have been watching Maine and NS. We had 3 days in the just at freezing or a degree above this week which made a few trees darken at the knots. But the long range here is not promising as well....nothing really above 5 degrees below freezing.

As a rookie, I'm getting anxious to get into the game!
    2014 - 6 buckets, 4 coffee cans and a propane burner - almost 40L of sap and 1.6L of syrup
    2015 - 103 taps on gravity. Homemade oil tank arch and a Smoky Lake 2' X 5' hybrid. - 2.66 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 101 taps, 550 gallons of sap, ~10 gallons of syrup all dark.
    2017 - 138 taps, 225 gallons of sap, 5.55 gallons of dark syrup, still procrastinating on the vac.
    2018 - ~150 taps, I lost track of the sap it was incredible!, over 20 gal of syrup, all dark.

Just over he border in NH and as much as i want to start tapping. I think i will wait until the long term forecast looks a little more promising. I still need to do a few things to get my block arch up and running, so this deep freeze is buying me some time.

I am thinking it will be the third week in March at the rate we are going
    525 Taps
    3X8 DG Raised Flue with Blower
    Smokey Lake 16X16 Filter Canner

looks like at least another 2 weeks. i sure would like a day above freezing so i could wash some stuff up and get my evap ready to go guess when it warms up it will just have to be a made rush. One things for sure I don't care if i see another snow flake till november .I got one main line that runs 70 taps that has at least 4 feet of drifted snow that you can walk on on top of it its like a block not sure what i am going to do there . I did see three robins yesterday i think they were lost.
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

I did the same as Maple Ridge last season and my holes dried up as well. I tapped the calendar instead of the weather. I'm going to wait until things look better as far as nature is concerned this season.

this weather forcast stuff all sounds great, but i am getting tired of waiting. I love snow and winter, but ready to start boiling.
    Half Pint, 44 taps, 16 chickens, pig pen
    2014 2x4 Mason HO evaporator, 80-100? taps, 15 chickens, 2 pigs in the freezer keeping the frozen chicken company

When I first started sugaring back in the 90's , I used to like to be set up and ready to drill holes by March 1st . I never really thought I had missed much . Maybe a short run . To me this seems more like the norm .
    " A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
    Mark Twain
    900 plus taps , 435 vacuum, 565 gravity
    2.5 x 10 Thor on Tsunami arch
    H2O Concentrater 300
    Squeezing Bees
    and
    Draining Trees
    Since 1980
    http://www.sparkyshoneyandmaple.com/about.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast