+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hopes for this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Looking at end of this month or First of March, have a lot of snow on ground and the cold weather has been a real mean weather pattern to us
    Other than being all classic picturesque, (should I get snowshoes and a yoke!!) and a pain to walk through, what is the impact of snow cover on the roots? Does it help it by insulating, or keeping water on-hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Helicopter Seeds View Post
    Other than being all classic picturesque, (should I get snowshoes and a yoke!!) and a pain to walk through, what is the impact of snow cover on the roots? Does it help it by insulating, or keeping water on-hand?
    I have observed that years that we have a good snow pack that we have better seasons. I'm not sure if it's because the conditions that bring about the snow pack are conducive to a good season or having a constant supply of water helps.

I've often wondered if there is value in setting up a snow making system in the woods for years when we don't have much snow...lol.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Snowshoes are needed for sure i been tapping today got about 200 taps in so far. Then took some time to shovel out over 3ft of snow to clear my mainline going to the upper woods. Hope to get another 100 taps in by dark.
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

looking out on the extended weather we might get some good days next week. my partner was going to start tapping this afternoon and finish over the weekend the 155 or so on vaccuum.
    i'm planning on tapping all 150 or so buckets early next week. i figure if the buckets start to dry off early because i tapped a bit too soon and we still have favorable weather i can always move them to new trees.
    on a side note was up at bascoms the other day picking up some evaporator parts and they had a sign up that they had 65,000 taps in but no syrup yet. hoping everyone has a good productive season

Default Maple Water and Safe Plastics

We are tapping today getting ready for the thaw. We have 40 buckets, the traditional spiles, an assortment of Grimm lids and the new hooded ones. We are going to do a few trees we have not done for a bit in a more remote area with tubing into 5 gallon water bottles. The excitement is building in New Haven County about this interesting and sweet "hobby" they see us all doing in our "free" time. If you invite the general public in to your sugar shack be prepared for questions like, "Do you sell Maple Water?", "Are the plastics in your jugs the harmful kind?" and "What's the glycemic index of your syrup?" I tell them they aren't helping the environment by buying sap in plastic and syrup is better, the plastic jugs from Sugarhill are safe and I give them a hand-out about the health facts about syrup we put together from various sources. Everyone have fun with that "free" time you all have!
    Tanta Kirsten - Sugarmaker
    Walker Sugarworks - Hamden
    www.kirstenwalker.com

Nice post Tanta : )

Quote Originally Posted by tanta View Post
    We are tapping today getting ready for the thaw. We have 40 buckets, the traditional spiles, an assortment of Grimm lids and the new hooded ones. We are going to do a few trees we have not done for a bit in a more remote area with tubing into 5 gallon water bottles. The excitement is building in New Haven County about this interesting and sweet "hobby" they see us all doing in our "free" time. If you invite the general public in to your sugar shack be prepared for questions like, "Do you sell Maple Water?", "Are the plastics in your jugs the harmful kind?" and "What's the glycemic index of your syrup?" I tell them they aren't helping the environment by buying sap in plastic and syrup is better, the plastic jugs from Sugarhill are safe and I give them a hand-out about the health facts about syrup we put together from various sources. Everyone have fun with that "free" time you all have!
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

Intellicast said it was 29 in Norwalk at lunchtime I went out and tapped 5 trees and 2 immediately started flowing. Things are finally looking up!
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

just put in 55 taps today, a few of them had a few drips of sap running but not much. Looks like we might get some sap next week, I cannot wait to fire up the arch and start making syrup.
    700 taps, Smoky Lake 2x6 drop flu, 2 post RO. 16x20 Sugar House

I put in 50 today..30 were flowing a drip a second......my LARGE trees were dry......
    SWEET 56 SUGAR SHACK

Im up to about 550 taps so far hope to get another 400 in Sunday. A few trees were a little wet but still too cold but want to be ready for the week coming
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123